Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-01-2013, 01:32 AM

Horse Burgers anyone?

Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland

Horse DNA has been found in some beef burgers being sold in UK and Irish supermarkets, the Republic of Ireland's food safety authority (FSAI) has said.

The FSAI said the meat came from two processing plants in Ireland, Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods, and the Dalepak Hambleton plant in Yorkshire.

It said there was no risk to health.

The burgers were on sale in Tesco and Iceland in the UK and Ireland. In the Republic of Ireland they were on sale in Dunnes Stores, Lidl and Aldi.

The FSAI said the retailers stated that they were removing all implicated batches of the burgers.

A total of 27 products were analysed, with 10 of them containing horse DNA and 23 containing pig DNA.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21034942
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 06:42 AM
I have just seen this on the news, I am glad I don't eat meat.

I remember years ago the local chinese restaurant that my friend used was prosecuted because they had a GSD in the freezer.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:16 AM
It made me roll my eyes when i heard tesco man say ' we will make every effort to find out how this happened'

Mr Tesco, really? You screw suppliers down on price so hard then wonder when they take short cuts?

Was watching Hugh FW program the other week where he tried to convert some staunch processed chicken/ready meal purchasers to free range chicken etc they went and saw a chicken producer who supplies the big super markets and do you know how much they make per chicken? apparently 3p!
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. Horse is eaten in many countries, personally don't see any difference between eating horse and a cow.

I do think that it should of been listed as an ingredient though as I understand some people won't be comfortable eating horse.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. Horse is eaten in many countries, personally don't see any difference between eating horse and a cow.

I do think that it should of been listed as an ingredient though as I understand some people won't be comfortable eating horse.
You could say the same about dogs. You should be able to choose what you eat.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by dog_geek View Post

Me being one of them, they eat dogs in many countries too, and I would not be comfortable eating dog meat either.

I guess we all have our own limitations on what type of meat we will eat (I wont eat veal either) , I do think if horse meat is on their recipe , it should be made clear, then folks can make their own mind up..

I guess if this came to light in France, they would agree , it no big deal .
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
You could say the same about dogs. You should be able to choose what you eat.
Totally agree. If I was hungry enough and there was no other choice, I would eat dog. I think most people would even though they would like to think they wouldn't.

You should be able to choose what you eat which is why I said it should of been listed on the ingredients.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 11:14 AM
I have eaten horse meat, it was ok, quite good in fact. However if I buy Beef, I expect to get cow not horse!!!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I guess we all have our own limitations on what type of meat we will eat (I wont eat veal either) , I do think if horse meat is on their recipe , it should be made clear, then folks can make their own mind up..

Totally agree with this. I once ate catfish without knowing what it was and I was absolutely devastated when I found out what I had eaten. (I used to keep large tropical catfish; they were extremely tame, ate their food from my hands and would come to the surface of the water whenever I opened up the lids of the tanks). As far as I'm concerned, any type of creature I have ever had as a pet is not something I would consider eating.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2013, 01:12 PM
I am a vegetarian but I think people who do eat meat deserve to know what they are eating so they can chose whether they want to eat that particular meat or not
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »