View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JuliusPug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 08:00 PM

Losing weight - do I need to add supplements or feed more?

My pug used to be fed on tinned food with mixer biscuits and weighed around 9.5kg (he's very tall for a pug and never looked overweight). We switched to raw about a year ago and he maintained this weight until the Autumn, when he dropped to around 9kg.

He now weights between 8.7 - 8.9kg and I feel he's too skinny.

We feed him about 130g DAF mince for breakfast and usually 2 chicken necks (weigh about 150g total) for dinner. He also gets veg mush and liver chunks a couple of times per week. This is over 3% of his bodyweight so I'm confused why he should need more. He used to get 100g for breakfast (when I split the block into 5 portions instead of 4), so I've already increased it but it hasn't made any difference.

He's not hugely active so it's not that he's using more energy than calories he's eating.

My OH seems to think we should be giving him a supplement of some sort as "he obviously isn't absorbing all the nutrition from the meat". Is there any merit to this, and if so, what supplement would you recommend?

Alternatively, should I try just feeding him more and see if he gains some weight?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

14-01-2013, 08:15 PM
If he's not very active it could be muscle wastage... however, do you have any photos you can post? That will help us get a better idea. Are his stools ok? Does he seem ok in himself?
JuliusPug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 09:26 PM
By 'not active' I mean he's not a hyper dog who constantly runs around the house & needs long hikes everyday. He gets a 20 min walk in the morning and a 30 min walk in the evening (longer at weekends).

His stools are well formed and don't smell Sometimes they are crumbly if he's had a lot of bone.

This was him in July when he was about 9.5 kg

This is a video of him over Christmas (inc him doing his crazy pug run when he realises he's on sand)

Video

Oh and he's fine in himself. Would eat for England if allowed to which is why I've always been mindful of not over-feeding him.

Edit: for comparison, here is his littermate brother who is decidely bigger (although it was Julius who was apparently the chunkier pup)
http://www.britishglory-bulldogs-pug...rto/4551374061
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-01-2013, 10:51 PM
I have 2 Pugs both around the 7.5kg mark. One eats more than twice what the other does and looks much slimmer too. I'd just increase his food a bit at a time and see what happens. Feeding guidelines are based on the average dog, some need more and some need less. It's probably just a case of finding the amount that's right for him and then stabilising it.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2013, 07:20 AM
I would feed more too and see what happens. I have two dogs that fluctuate in weight and I just eyeball them at feeding time and feed a bit more or a bit less according to where they are at that time.

Has he been wormed recently, that could be another consideration.
JuliusPug
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2013, 03:19 PM
He was wormed at start of December - I've never seen worms in his stools but I do wonder whether he either had them or reacted to the wormer (Drontal tablets) as for 4 days after the medication his stools were covered in a sticky mucus and he needed to go more frequently. I mentioned it to the vet when he was there the following week having his boosters and he said it could have been either reason and it was nothing to worry about as long as it had cleared up.

Should I worm him again? And if so, with a different brand?