Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2013, 06:38 PM

Diet and 'light' food

Unfortunately Harvey is on a diet as he's overweight and i've been cutting down his usual James Wellbeloved Kibble which i usually mixed a spoonful of a james wellbeloved pouch but even cutting this down he doesn't seem to losing much.
So i was thinking of changing his food to one of these 'Light' food brands but wasn't sure what one to try and just wondered if anyone had tried any or heard anything good about any of them?

Thanks any help is appreciated.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry, probably not quite the reply you're after I've never been a great fan of light dog food for no real good reason other than I just getting the feeling I'm paying for fillers. But if you wanted to stay with the food he's eating at the moment you could give him less food then if he's still hungry give him a carrot or some thing else low fat to chew. And maybe a bit more exercise if he'll chase a ball that's a very easy way of getting a dog to run around more or a game of tug or something.
Just my thought's though ! Good luck with his weight loss
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Tori, what is the exact brand and complete name of the pet food Harvey is getting?

Every "light" food I've seen I had to tell pet owners to throw out because it was basically, well, crap (except for brands similar to something like Wellness Core Grain-Free Reduced Fat Formula).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Hi Tori I am not a fan of 'light foods' either. I would just cut the amount of food you are feeding.

Have you ever weighed out a daily allowance of food appropriate to your dogs size, the amount of kibble is often surprisingly small making it very easy to overfeed a dog by guessing the amount of food .
I would weigh out the daily allowance including the pouches then reduce it. You can always add a small amount of low calorie vegetables like shredded cabbage or broccoli as fillers. Steamed nettles are good for this too...

As nddogs says I would try to increase the exercise too. I think many dogs get a bit podgy in the winter , Chloe certainly does she is on reduced rations at the moment
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2013, 06:19 AM
For various reasons I could not exercise Pereg more, but I managed to get her weight down from 20.8kg to 17.2 in a year, and think she is a bit under 17kg now.

It was possibly easier because I had by then changed her totally onto raw, and weighed everything - including the three tiny treats she has each evening. And luckily she loves vegetables so I was able to bulk her food out so she had the same volume but with far less calories.
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Roger Biduk View Post
Tori, what is the exact brand and complete name of the pet food Harvey is getting?
Its James Wellbeloved Adult Turkey and Rice or Fish and rice he usually gets.

Thank you everyone for your replies you have been very helpful!
I think Im going to stick with the food he's on just now since i've still got a bag to use but im going to decrease it even more just to see how we get on and obviously exercise more.
Minihaha im going start weighing it out, i did before but i've kinda lost the plot with it now so i need to be strict here.
He also gets a Fish4dogs Sea Jerky Fish Twist treat a day for his teeth, is this too much, its the only treat he gets a day?

Out of curiosity i know these brands are good but are any of these 'light' versions good or are they all fillers because i dont really know? just wanted opinions

James Wellbeloved 'light'
rice, turkey meal, oats, sugar beet pulp, whole linseed, pea protein, turkey gravy, alfalfa meal, turkey fat, natural seaweed, sodium chloride, omega oil supplement, potassium chloride, parsley, nettle, chicory extract, calcium carbonate, glucosamine, yucca extract, chondroitin

Fish4dogs Weight Control
Salmon (Min 27%), Potato (Min 27%), Pea Starch (29.2%), Starch 27%, Pea Fibre (2.2%)Salmon Meal (6.3%), Salmon Oil (4.7%), Salmon Digest (1.7%), Seaweed Meal, Yeast Extract, Malt Extract, Potassium Chloride, Green-lipped Mussel Extract, Spirulina

Burns Weight Control
Oats (55%), Brown Rice (18%), Chicken Meal (17%), Peas, Chicken Oil, Seaweed, Vitamins & Minerals.

Or just stick to his normal James Wellbeloved cut down?
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Hi Tori I feed the Fish4dogs Sea Jerky , it contains very little in the way of calories but provides 'chew satisfaction' and a teeth cleaner likewise stag antlers. Chloe prefers the softer ones but they don't last as long as the hard ones ..
http://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/?gcl...FWbKtAod9RIA-A

ETA If I was choosing from the 3 foods above it would be F4D, it list a protein first as the main ingredient rather than a cereal .
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Tori I feed the Fish4dogs Sea Jerky , it contains very little in the way of calories but provides 'chew satisfaction' and a teeth cleaner likewise stag antlers. Chloe prefers the softer ones but they don't last as long as the hard ones ..
http://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/?gcl...FWbKtAod9RIA-A
Aww thanks thats good to know he can still get them.
I've tried the stag antlers before but he wasnt interested in it i was really excited about it as well and he just walked away from it and it was left kicking about so i gave it to a friends dog.
Roger Biduk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-01-2013, 09:18 PM
Hello Tori.
You didn't say which type of JW you're feeding If one of the rice blends, it's not good, full of carbohydrates. Carnivores don't eat grains. just makes them fat like humans.
Even their grain-free isn't much better. The turkey and vegetable is full of starches, just as bad as grains. Two of the first three ingredients are garbage starches.
Without a doubt, a balanced, enzyme-rich raw meat diet is best.
Grain-free wet food is much better than kibble..
If feeding kibble go with something like Orijen which has up to eleven meat/fish ingredients, not just one meat ingredient like JW. Good luck. Roger Biduk