Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 02:00 PM

Puppy refusing to walk on lead!

I have to confess this is the first time we've experienced this problem. Little Alfie is going to his new home on Sunday 14th, ALL the other pups from both litters were fine on leads by the time they left here, but for some reason Alfie point blankly refuses to budge!! As soon as his lead is attached, his bottom hits the floor and he starts shaking, I've tried taking Inca with him, she's racing on ahead but he still refuses to move. He's even started crying, any suggestions on what I can try next......he's fine with his collar, just the lead, even indoors!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Oh dear, Cassie was the same when she was little. Have you tried coaxing him along with a treat?
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 02:08 PM
topaz was like that when i got her, sometimes i felt like if i dangled a carrot in front she,d move .. what i did was carry her on her 1st walk round on our starting out walk route . and just put her down near the house so she could see where she was , she graedualy over came this fear of the lead .over a week or so . now when i get the lead out she jumps on the sofa and sits nicely waiting for it to be attached and shes off . . she skips about like a little cat and loves her walks now
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 02:20 PM
He will be 14 weeks tomorrow and I think he's new owners are expecting to take him walkies as he's all up to date with injections etc. I've tried the treats, one of my daughters have taken Inca ahead, hoping he will follow but not a chance, he's a stubborn little monkey!

We will persevere! I know his new owners have puppy classes booked for him in September, I just hope I can get him at least to walk on a lead before he leaves.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2005, 05:25 PM
CC with small puppies I start them off by putting the lead on while holding the puppy in my arms, then put his food down in the dish and let him see you do this..then walk a little way away and put him down and let him walk to the food with you holding the lead..the food should distract him and get him to associate the lead with a pleasurable experience.

Another thing to do is to have the puppy on the lead and get one of the children to crouch down a little way away with a toy or tip bit and call the puppy to them while you hold the lead
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
if all else fails give them a skatetboard with the pup .......lol sorry i shoudnt laugh .
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Lol.....actually Diane that had already been mentioned....

Today I attached the lead and left it so he could walk around the room, but even then he sat down and refused to move even though nobody was holding the lead.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:21 PM
what about introducing the lead even slower? like, when u feed him, put the lead by the bowl, when u do training, have the lead in ur hand, so maybe he will associate it with good things without it being so scary. Then u could gradually introduce it to being on him when he eats and take it off straight away after he's eaten. Perhaps hes associated the lead with going out into the scary world and maybe thats why hes so scared? maybe try just play some games with him indoors while he has it on, then take it off and put it away so he knows he doesnt have to go outside
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:31 PM
CC, leave the lead on him, in your supervision of course, he will soon forgot about it after a while, let him drag it around, not holding it at this point.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Just a thought, what about carrying him on a short walk, put him down at the end when you start to head for home and see if that makes any difference? He might realise he's heading home? Not had this problem so can't really help, but I think that's what I'd do. Good luck anyway.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >