Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Tell me what you think ....

I got a phone call from hubby about an hour ago to say he was at the vets
He was driving home from Pepsi's walk when the foster son of another dog walker decided that their Dacshund would like a walk off lead
He unclipped the lead and the dog ran straight in front of Brian.
Bri said he has never heard such screaming from a dog

Anyway they scooped him up and took him straight to the vet. They are pretty sure there is no damage done. He has to go back for a check on Monday and Brian has offered to take them because they don't have a car.

Do you think we should offer to pay the vet bill? It was hardly Brians fault but on the other hand he did hit the dog Please tell me what you think.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Poor dog. I wouldn't of said it was Brians fault it was them that decided the dog wanted an off lead walk which I am sure it didn't it would of much preferred a walk off lead in a safe environment i'm sure.

I think Brian is being very kind and taking responsibility by offering to take them back to the vets which he doesn't have too.

I really don't feel you should be offering to pay the vet bills if the dog had remained on lead as it should of done it wouldn't be needing the vet now and Brian wouldn't be feeling bad about.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 11:42 AM
The owner of the dog is responsible for this as the dog should have been fully under control at the time. As guilty as he may feel it really was not his fault.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 11:44 AM
It is really difficult isn't it? I'm glad the dog is ok tho.

From what you are saying, I would say no, he shouldn't offer or be expected to pay the bills. The dog should not have been off lead in the circumstances and by the sounds of it, Brian must have been driving very slowly or reacted quickly when he saw the dog because if he was driving fast, then the dog would not be in a good way - if you know what I mean. Also, Brian is helping them out with the transport to vets which is a kind goodwill gesture.

I hope Brian is ok too, I'd be very upset if it was me.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 11:47 AM
By law, your hubby can claim for any damage to his car caused by the dog so, no, I wouldn't offer to pay the vet's bill.

The lad, or if he is underage the guardians of the lad, are fully responsible for what happened and should be apologising and thanking you for all the help you have given.

I know I sound harsh, but I get so sick and tired of people not looking after their dogs properly (and that includes keeping them safe), that my only surprise is that this type of accident doesn't happen more often

I do hope the dog is OK and that Brian gets over the shock quickly.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Well thank you, you are all making me feel better
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Poor dog. I wouldn't of said it was Brians fault it was them that decided the dog wanted an off lead walk which I am sure it didn't it would of much preferred a walk off lead in a safe environment i'm sure.

I think Brian is being very kind and taking responsibility by offering to take them back to the vets which he doesn't have too.

I really don't feel you should be offering to pay the vet bills if the dog had remained on lead as it should of done it wouldn't be needing the vet now and Brian wouldn't be feeling bad about.
Thanks Lynn, yes I bet the dog wishes it hadn't been let off now

Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
The owner of the dog is responsible for this as the dog should have been fully under control at the time. As guilty as he may feel it really was not his fault.
Thanks, yes the owner should have full control shouldn't it. Well he obviously didn't this time.

Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
It is really difficult isn't it? I'm glad the dog is ok tho.

From what you are saying, I would say no, he shouldn't offer or be expected to pay the bills. The dog should not have been off lead in the circumstances and by the sounds of it, Brian must have been driving very slowly or reacted quickly when he saw the dog because if he was driving fast, then the dog would not be in a good way - if you know what I mean. Also, Brian is helping them out with the transport to vets which is a kind goodwill gesture.

I hope Brian is ok too, I'd be very upset if it was me.
A nice hot cup of tea with sugar and he is much better but it upset him terribly .
He was going slowly because it is impossible to do otherwise just where he was, that was the saving grace I suppose.

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
By law, your hubby can claim for any damage to his car caused by the dog so, no, I wouldn't offer to pay the vet's bill.

The lad, or if he is underage the guardians of the lad, are fully responsible for what happened and should be apologising and thanking you for all the help you have given.

I know I sound harsh, but I get so sick and tired of people not looking after their dogs properly (and that includes keeping them safe), that my only surprise is that this type of accident doesn't happen more often

I do hope the dog is OK and that Brian gets over the shock quickly.
I don't think the car is damaged, we hadn't even thought of that.
The lad is underage and has "issues" and his step mum said she will have a lot to say to him when she gets him home. I don't think he should be walking a dog thats for sure
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 01:20 PM
I agree with the others I don't see why you should pay for any vets fees. I think you are doing a very nice thing taking the dog to the vets and obviously being v. caring about it's welfare. I don't think you are responsible for doing any more.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Tbh if the dog ran out in front of Brian's car and he wasn't speeding I don't see how they can blame it on him :/

I know that it's a legal requirement for a driver to stop if they hit a dog, but not sure whether they have to give out insurance details, or call the police like in other road traffic accidents.

If they seek payment, maybe just direct them to your insurance company?

Hope the dog is ok, and give Brian a glass of brandy! I had an accident with a motorcyclist once (who just pulled out in front of me) and I was in shock even tho the car on slightly clipped him. I think I would be in even more shock if I hit a dog - gosh I'm such a wuss
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
I agree with the others I don't see why you should pay for any vets fees. I think you are doing a very nice thing taking the dog to the vets and obviously being v. caring about it's welfare. I don't think you are responsible for doing any more.
Brian is concerned that the owner may not be able to afford the bill. There again we are pensioners and not that well off (get the violins out!)

Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Tbh if the dog ran out in front of Brian's car and he wasn't speeding I don't see how they can blame it on him :/

I know that it's a legal requirement for a driver to stop if they hit a dog, but not sure whether they have to give out insurance details, or call the police like in other road traffic accidents.

If they seek payment, maybe just direct them to your insurance company?

Hope the dog is ok, and give Brian a glass of brandy! I had an accident with a motorcyclist once (who just pulled out in front of me) and I was in shock even tho the car on slightly clipped him. I think I would be in even more shock if I hit a dog - gosh I'm such a wuss
It is very worrying, he was quite shaken, although he seems ok now.
He forgot to get the ladies phone number so it might be that he doesn't take her to the vet anyway if we can't contact her to make arrangements
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2012, 02:52 PM
I'm with Chris and the others on this one Jen, but the fact that you have no contact with the owners anyway, I'd be inclined to forget it now.

One thing he should do maybe is ring the police, because you do have to report hitting a dog don't you? It'll mean he'll probably have to make a statement, but he's done nothing wrong whatsoever, he even took them to the vet, but at least that way, he's covered his backside if they want to take it further, but they won't win of course, they were in the wrong.

Poor ickle doggy though, I do hope he's going to be ok I once ran over a cat...... the same cat, TWICE in the space of 10 mins whilst I picked a friend up turned around and drove back up the same road, and even the 2nd time it just ran off !!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >