Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 10:17 PM

Cat hating Doberman

I was just dropping off my last two client doggies, a dobe and a boxer. Got them out of the back of the van and they saw a cat. Both dogs lunged, slamming me into the door and the dobe was screaming!

I had to sit back against the van and cling on with all my strength and kitty decided it was dangerous and shot off. The dobe then directed his aggression on to the boxer who dropped cringing to the ground.

All was well. The cat got away, the boxer unhurt and I am still recovering.

They did warn me he hates cats!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Ouch - hope you're ok!

Rocky was absolutely fine with Cheetah, but he hated other furrys with a vengeance... but that never stopped the neighbours cat coming over to poo in our garden! It was a close shave a few times tho
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Ouch - hope you're ok!

Rocky was absolutely fine with Cheetah, but he hated other furrys with a vengeance... but that never stopped the neighbours cat coming over to poo in our garden! It was a close shave a few times tho
Are cats brave or stupid? Apparently this dobe caught one in their garden once and he shook it but it flew across the garden and managed to scrabble up the fence and get away!

He definitely means business.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
Are cats brave or stupid? Apparently this dobe caught one in their garden once and he shook it but it flew across the garden and managed to scrabble up the fence and get away!

He definitely means business.
The cat probably is used to dogs and sees them as no threat so its not a question of being brave or stupid. He most likely lives with dogs or a dog

Glad all ok, Dobe sounds a bit iffy turning his agression on the poor Boxer
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Hope you are ok this morning .

None of my dogs have neen cat haters mainly because 3 of them lived with cats and were more scared than brave and Dillon well he loves anything.

I have noticed though they don't run away now like they use to. I find myself slowing right down so I don't get my arm pulled out of my socket and they get bored and move on.

They seem to be little thugs in hoodies come on bring it on.

The Doberman really seeemd to be in the red zone diverting his aggression onto the boxer. Must of been pretty frightening.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
My Basenjis behave like that if there is something exciting ie pheasants etc, they will nip the others to keep them back. The males seem worse than the females.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
The cat probably is used to dogs and sees them as no threat so its not a question of being brave or stupid. He most likely lives with dogs or a dog

Glad all ok, Dobe sounds a bit iffy turning his agression on the poor Boxer
Yes some cats are clearly used to dogs and don't realise when they are in danger.

I've never seen the dobe so worked up but there was no physical damage to the boxer thankfully. He is more noise than anything.
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Hope you are ok this morning .

None of my dogs have neen cat haters mainly because 3 of them lived with cats and were more scared than brave and Dillon well he loves anything.

I have noticed though they don't run away now like they use to. I find myself slowing right down so I don't get my arm pulled out of my socket and they get bored and move on.

They seem to be little thugs in hoodies come on bring it on.

The Doberman really seeemd to be in the red zone diverting his aggression onto the boxer. Must of been pretty frightening.
Some cats do seem to taunt dogs don't they? I was followed by a cat whilst walking Tess some years ago. The faster I walked the faster the cat followed.

It wasn't nice seeing the dobe have a go at the boxer but living with a dobe I know their bark is worse than their bite generally and the boxer always backs off from him in any conflict.

Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
My Basenjis behave like that if there is something exciting ie pheasants etc, they will nip the others to keep them back. The males seem worse than the females.
I think when dogs get aroused like that they often redirect to the closest thing. I'm glad it wasn't me.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 01:39 PM
very lucky is wasnt you. must have been scary.
i have the same problem with phoebe and cats can totally spoil a walk if we see one because then she wound up for the duration
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2012, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Maisiesmum View Post
I was just dropping off my last two client doggies, a dobe and a boxer. Got them out of the back of the van and they saw a cat. Both dogs lunged, slamming me into the door and the dobe was screaming!

I had to sit back against the van and cling on with all my strength and kitty decided it was dangerous and shot off. The dobe then directed his aggression on to the boxer who dropped cringing to the ground.

All was well. The cat got away, the boxer unhurt and I am still recovering.

They did warn me he hates cats!
Not a nice experience, but one that I have if my dogs see a cat. I introduced them to cats from 9 weeks of age and they were fine. They are fine if a cat doesn't run, but if it does they (especially one of mine) goes crazy and makes an un-doglike noise trying to strain on his lead to chase. He will then turn his excitement/frustration on his brother - a real pain in the neck as it only happens when they are on leads. This isn't unusual though, but a trait I don't like!!