Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 05:37 PM

Switching from raw to kibble

My dad is going in for a major operation and Spencer is going to be going in kennels while we're back in the UK. Unfortunately it means he's going to have to go back on kibble for his stay as they don't have the facilities to store raw.

How would I go about switching him from raw to kibble? Just do a straight switch the way you do going from kibble to raw? I want to get him switched ASAP really so he's not got a sudden change of diet on top of a sudden change in environment.

Won't be a permanent switch, just while he's in kennels.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 05:37 PM
That is what I would do.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 05:43 PM
My dog absolutely WILL NOT eat 'wet' dog food. I've tried them all. Wanted to be able to mix a bit with kibble and I know my boarding feeds them wet food.

I take my kibble to the boarding and they tell me she eats that AND their food! The little booger. Now I only take about half a bag just in case she refuses their food. But apparently it is only at home she doesn't want to know about canned food or the terrine or whatever.

So it may be that different surroundings/different food seems OK to her?

She also will not eat any RAW food. Even best steak not even if I mince it for her. She will eat some of it if I 'cook' it in the micro first but obviously is not keen.

However, perverse as ever, I have discovered that not only will she eat raw bones with raw meat on them but she LOVES them! Dogs! Huh!

* I am glad she does like the raw bones and I freeze them and she even loves them frozen.

So, at the mo, she is being fed on a mix of raw bones with meat on and kibble and dog treat thingies.

My main reason for not wanting her to only eat fresh food is the number of times I have her kennelled and thinking they wouldn't be feeding her what I do (like you say). Seems it isn't that much of a problem.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Cheers, will pick up some kibble and hope he'll still eat it!

It's not like he's going to be kennelled often, if he were I don't think I'd feed raw either to be honest.
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I've given Whisper raw in-between her usual commercial food (to see what she thought of it really) and she was fine tummy-wise.

Spencer being a lab' I would guess he'll eat the kibble just fine lol!

On a more serious note - really hope the operation goes ok for your dad. xxxx