Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Great progress

I think it was smokeybear who recommended splitting up the day's food into portions for training purposes.

Well I've half done that. Rosie has her breakfast as normal but dinner is fed on the evening walk. I'm concentrating on building a solid recall, which I think is the paramount, and she is getting more headstrong so recall has slipped lately.

In just 3 days recall is 100% better, today I arranged to meet a fellow lunchtime dog walker. Generally Rosie would be off with her dog playing and refuse to come back until she was ready, today recall was rapid and rewarded with a tasty treat.

Tonight she went charging off after a deer and again recalled well; she would normally ignore me if she had her nose into something interesting but tonight recall was immediate in those situations and rewarded by a portion of kibble.

Still loads to do on it but the hunger/food as a motivator has worked a treat so far and I've the Jean Donaldson book Train your dog like a pro on order so I hope that will give me more of an insight into the right methods.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Well done. How satisfying to see your dog respond so well to your training. How old is Rosie?
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
I think it was smokeybear who recommended splitting up the day's food into portions for training purposes.

Well I've half done that. Rosie has her breakfast as normal but dinner is fed on the evening walk. I'm concentrating on building a solid recall, which I think is the paramount, and she is getting more headstrong so recall has slipped lately.

In just 3 days recall is 100% better, today I arranged to meet a fellow lunchtime dog walker. Generally Rosie would be off with her dog playing and refuse to come back until she was ready, today recall was rapid and rewarded with a tasty treat.

Tonight she went charging off after a deer and again recalled well; she would normally ignore me if she had her nose into something interesting but tonight recall was immediate in those situations and rewarded by a portion of kibble.

Still loads to do on it but the hunger/food as a motivator has worked a treat so far and I've the Jean Donaldson book Train your dog like a pro on order so I hope that will give me more of an insight into the right methods.
Well Done.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-05-2012, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Well done. How satisfying to see your dog respond so well to your training. How old is Rosie?
About 10 months. The book arrived today the next challenge is to teacher her how to read it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Twas I (although I cannot claim original authorship) it works well (when handlers are sufficiently committed)

Well done you!!!!!!!