Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Really angry at new signs!! GGGRRR!!

I've been out for the morning walk today and just as I get to the first kissing gate I noticed a big sign saying 'ALL DOGS TO BE KEPT ON LEADS'. I am so angry so I've come on here to vent and apologies!!

Behind me is a restored quarry. I have lived here for 17 years and its only been in the last year that we havent had heavy plant machinery operating behind us. what has been left is restored land and 4 large lakes from where they hit the water table when they extracted all the sand and gravel. We've never had a problem with all of this as we knew that ultimately the land would be put back into a reasonable state and that the footpaths would be reinstated etc.

We have a lot of twitchers parking in the village lane and crossing the land behind with their cameras and tripods. They dont like us residents walking our dogs off lead as they say that the dogs disturb the nesting birds. The joke of it is that the birds are taking up residence there INSPITE OF the heavy machinery that has been operating there and the livestock that grazes there now and the fact that 26 dogs from our village are regularly walked off lead around these 60 acres.

When the footpaths officer came to check that the footpaths were reinstated properly she collared me while I was out walking the dogs last October and said that because of the birds they would be putting signs up for dogs to be kept on leads. Well, you can imagine my reaction! They've finally got round to sticking them up and its the first time in my life that I feel like defacing anything..........wheres the black spray paint when you need it??!!! Needless to say, I will not be putting my dogs on leads in future across this land and judging by the amount of messages I've had from village residents this morning, nor will all of the others!

Have the nanny state irritated you and yours recently??
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Are you sure that these signs are not temporary? Many local councils and authorities require dogs to be kept on leads during the ground nesting bird season ie from 1 March - 31 July. In some areas dogs are banned altogehter.

Do you belong to KC Dog?

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/kcdog

This means you can keep an eye out for DCOs (Dog Control Orders) in your area and have your say on any planned DCOs.

I am sure you would not appreciate people ignoring the law where your dogs were concerned and thus those who have bird life a the forefront of their minds will appreciate the same courtesy?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 03:17 PM
I think it is tough really I'm afraid. Unfortunately if it is a legal restriction and people continue to flout the rules, they will probably ban dogs all together.

We have those restrictions in a couple of places I walk, one of which is permanent (dogs on leads at all times) due to the presence of a rare native species. I just avoid them where possible.

I don't like the 300 houses they built on the fields at the end of my road that I had walked on for the last 10 years. But, there is no point moping about it because it won't change anything.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I know you're both absolutely right but it just feels as though we've waited a long time to get rid of the machinery and been looking forward to walking these fields for years to come and they've slapped us all in the face! Hey Ho!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by tiggers mum View Post
I know you're both absolutely right but it just feels as though we've waited a long time to get rid of the machinery and been looking forward to walking these fields for years to come and they've slapped us all in the face! Hey Ho!
yes i completely understand and would feel the same
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 04:47 PM
All the footpaths through the fields around our village have such signs up but no one takes any notice!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't like restrictions either but just think -- it could always be worse (eg, the 300 houses they built on the fields here ).
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I don't like the 300 houses they built on the fields at the end of my road that I had walked on for the last 10 years. But, there is no point moping about it because it won't change anything.
Same here - A place where I have been walking dogs most of my life is waiting for planning permission to build over 400 homes. It's annoying because it's a good local walk which the dogs love that I can get to on foot.

I totally understand how you feel, I think it would p1ss me off if I was in your shoes.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I think that as harsh as it sounds this may not be a bad thing. Dogs need variety and as such walking them in the same place all the time isn't great for them. You can still have your quick walks here, on lead, when you are desperate for them but the rest of the time you can take them further afield and let them meet some new friends and have some new smells in different locations.
A pain I know, the park that I used to take my dog to a lot is in the process of changing (apparently) but since we only go there once a week we will cope.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I feel your frustration.......

As a resident of Chelmsford we loose access to Hylands park for a good month in the summer to V. Festival every year. The other year they had a Scout Jamboree there prior to V so the park was out of action for dog walkers for a good couple of months.

Over the past 10 years the park has changed to be more people friendly and dogs have restrictions in various places. Such a shame as it has always been predominantly a dog walkers park, with people only visiting when its summer.

I no longer walk there for other reasons, but it really used to get my goat when I had to find somewhere else to walk, which is difficult with a FA dog, small recreational parks just won't do.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >