Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 10:23 AM

Promoting Hair Growth?

Max has a small bald patch of scar tissue from where he had his lump removed a year ago.

His scar healed very nicely, and is just flat skin now - no lumps or bumps, and it feels no thicker than the rest of his skin.

However, it has no hair on!! It's very noticeable, as he is such a dark brindle, but the skin is very pale.

Is there anything I can use (cream, oil etc) that would promote hair growth there? Or is he destined to have a hairless line down his side forever?

Thanks!
kazzf
New Member!
Female 

29-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi,

We have been using Yumega, which is added to the food. It is an excellent product for promoting hair growth and skin condition. We have had great results with it.
[URL="http://http://www.lintbells.com/yumega/index.php"]
It may be worth you giving a try.

Karen
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

29-01-2008, 11:04 AM
You could try Kernelcote. Its available from Dog Health.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Scar tissue is fibrous damaged tissue ,it is thicker paler, denser than normal skin, it has limited blood supply, with less circulation and elasticity .

The tissue has been damaged, so will not be able to stimulate hair growth.

You can try some creams, it may help keep the texture a little more supply, but you will not be able to regenerate hair growth.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Nothing I tried on Teagans leg made the hair grow back after her op.
She has a bald patch - been there years!

TBH Shelley, I never noticed Max's bald patch!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 01:26 PM
Skincure - used to use it yonks ago when Jasper had little bald patches due to an allergy.

It absolutely stinks, but it did make the hair grow back!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Another product you might like to try is cornucrescine. It's a product sold to promote hoof growth in horses, but can be used to help hair regrowth.

Willow has a wee baldy patch on her neck from a past scars, but beacause her hair is fairly long (for a short hair, ha!) because it's covered up and I've never tried treating it to help hair regrow.
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-01-2008, 02:31 PM
castor oil and almond oil mixed together and gently heated, is great for scar tissue, it sofens and helps heal. The castor oil in it is "said" to promote hair growth.
Hair does'nt always grows back under scar tissue, but it can... it just down to luck most of the time!
Hope this helps
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2008, 03:45 PM
My horse is a swine for scars. In May last year, he took a chunk out of his neck (courtesy of a fieldmate ) large enough that I could have fitted my fist into it. The vet warned me that it would probably scar badly and be left bald and warned me that it was likely to develop proud flesh. Once the scab had formed and new skin was beginning to grow, I started massaging the outside of the wound with aloe vera gel. Gradually, as the wound closed, I was massaging the whole area once a day.

The vet came back around eight weeks after the incident, and was amazed at how well it had healed. There was still a slight scab, but the scar tissue on the outer edges of the wound had grown a thin coating of hair, in the colour of his winter coat. It looked a bit odd, because over summer he is very light bay, and in winter a dark chocolate colour! Now that his winter coat is through, you wouldn't even know he had been injured, let alone how serious it was. I'm hoping that when spring comes and his new coat comes through, the dark hair will be replaced with the lighter, but at the end of it, I'm just pleased that he's healed up without any problems.

It depends, I think, on how severe the scarring is - i.e. how thick the layer of scar tissue, how old the scar is, etc. I think my horse's healing process was probably also helped by the act of massaging more than the product I used. However, cornucrescine is also a good one for hair growth, as Evie said, and camrosa ointment is supposed to be good as well.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Just found this thread after searching for exactly the same thing for Roxy.

She is still healing, so I've no idea if she'll be left with a bald bit where the serious part of the wound is, where the skin flap was taken from.

Just wondering about anything else that may be helpful, apart from what has already been mentioned above?

I'll definitely look in to the ideas above as well though.