Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
yabbadoo
New Member!
Male 

30-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Merry Christmas - What already ?

I went into a store last week and it was decorated out for Christmas. There were massive well trimmed trees with lights on, enormous tinsel streamers hung up and lots of other decorations.

It was one of the best and most expensive displays I have ever seen for a medium store. I suppose in size it was like a Tesco super market.

BUT ! Already ! Whilst it looked great and I admired the display, it really is far too early, the last week in October.

Took me by surprise, but I did not like the timing. With Christmas decorations and TV ads being sported so early, I am fed up with it all when it finally arrives.

What do you think ?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I know it's early, but the displays are cheerful and very pretty - I'm enjoying them
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Well.........It's only 8 weeks to go I do like the fact you can buy things early and spread the cost, so I'm happy seeing all the lovely stuff in the shops so early.....
K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:04 PM
I dont mind the decorations and the stuff in shops, I do hate litening to the same songs on repeat for 2 months though
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:13 PM
It is fairly standard for most big general retail outlets to have Christmas stuff out at this time of year I'm afraid. Christmas is massive commercial business for retailers. Like it or not, a lot of people do their Christmas shopping early so financially it makes sense for retailers to have stock out as early as possible.

If you think seeing stuff in shops now it bad try working in retail, where Christmas stuff is ordered as early as the spring!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:17 PM
If you think that is early good job you weren't visiting our local garden centre on the August bank holiday as they had Christmas cards on display then! That really is early.

I don't mind as I like seeing the lovely and yummy Christmassy things and can buy something each week to put away but it must be difficult for people with children as they want things they see and think Christmas is nearer than it is!

My husband thinks shops should be banned from displaying Christmas things until December 1st! I do try and tell him that people have to post surface mail cards and presents off in October for Christmas last posting dates.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 07:23 PM
I don't mind really, can't make shopping any more painful lol

Becky ......who is munching a marzipan filled mini christmas stollen
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-10-2011, 11:32 PM
I saw Christmas stuff being advertised 2 months ago, I don't care what anyone says that's just ridiculous.

People are already going on about shopping etc, I'm already getting tired of it.

I used to enjoy the Christmas season however, the more it's shoved in my face, the less I want to do with it.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 07:41 AM
I don't mind really, can't make shopping any more painful lol
Take my epilepsy for the season and then say that! Seriously, I end up pretty much housebound for about 3 months purely because of all the flashing lights.

If it wasn't for the fact there are flashing lights everywhere it might not bother me but being unable to go anywhere for 3 months each year is bloody ridiculous. Call me selfish but I wish they WOULD ban people putting up displays before December and leaving them up after a certain date in January.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2011, 07:52 AM
Too early for decorations (the inflatable Homer Simpson Santa will be out round the corner from us in about a fortnight I expect) - but not too early to do the shopping - I was panicking the other day that I hadn't finished my shopping yet because money's been tight this year - then got a mahooosive tax rebate cheque through the post (I like the taxman much more when he's giving ME money - it's a fairly regular event because I always tend to overpay tax because of my working patterns) so got all that done and out of the way at the weekend - just one more person to buy for and it's all done at least.

But then the only way I can relax and enjoy Christmas is to get massively ahead of myself and sorted out before the crowds - if I've got to deal with the mid-December shop scrum then it's a vile, vile season.