View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tintalullah
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2011, 11:26 PM

My dog won't get out of her bed to greet me on a morning. Why?

I don't know anybody else who's dog does this. My dog is a 3 year old rescue mastiff cross. I've had her since she was 18 months. I know she loves me and I know that, despite her bad start in life, (she was beaten up and kept in a cupboard under the stairs apparently) she is now happy and secure. The funny thing is that my last dog, a Weimarana, did the same thing too, so it's clearly something I'm doing.

The morning routine in our house is that my husband takes her out early morning before going to work, then I get up an hour or so later. Seven just lies in her basket, looks at me, wags her tail but stays in her bed (typical teenager really). When I call her to me she will come to me quite readily, but once our cuddle is over she then takes herself back to bed, almost as if she can't wait to get back to bed.

I must admit I don't really mind as I'm not at my best first thing until I've had a cup of tea, and it's certainly better than being bowled over by a 10 ton hairball which is what used to happen when she first came to us.

Can I just say that in no way has she been mistreated since she came to us, nor is she frightened of me. She has been treated with love, patience and understanding from me. Although she didn't even know the sit command when I got her she is now quite well trained, her recall is brilliant and she is now a very confident, friendly and loving dog.

So why can't she be bothered with me on a morning?
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2011, 11:39 PM
I'd suggest a vet check. Reluctance to move can be caused by pain, bad joints can be very stiff in the morning after a long sleep.

Equally she may just not be a morning dog! Cain hates mornings. He gets up for a wee and breakfast then goes straight back to bed for a few hours! If he follows me around the house, he'll flop on the floor everytime I stop moving. I once tried to walk him first thing in the morning...he was not impressed
Tintalullah
New Member!
Female 

05-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
I'd suggest a vet check. Reluctance to move can be caused by pain, bad joints can be very stiff in the morning after a long sleep.
Thanks for replying, but she's been declared fit and well so I know it's not a joint problem. My instinct tells me that it's more to do with the psychological connection between us. It's funny though because my last dog did the same thing nearly all her life, so it definitely seems to be some behaviour thing - more probably MY behaviour though lol. I'm just worried that I'm doing something wrong, though I can't imagine what.
tilskie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Perhaps she is just tired from her walk, has she always been like this or is it a recent thing?
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 12:02 AM
Sounds to me like its just her routine. She obviously doesn't need to go out to the toilet if your husband has taken her out.

I would say aslong as its nothing physical and you enjoy your cup of tea in a morning then make the most of it. I wish my lot would understand the difference between work days and days off and not mob us in a morning
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Some dogs are just more laid back than others.

Like us, some are just don't want to be too bothered in the mornings. I know I'm certainly not a morning person
Tintalullah
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally Posted by tilskie View Post
Perhaps she is just tired from her walk, has she always been like this or is it a recent thing?
No it's not a recent thing, she's done it for well over a year. I can't see it being tiredness - tired doesn't seem to be a concept she's familiar with lol. When I first got her from the rescue home she had really bad seperation anxiety and the way I approached that was to put on my shoes and coat, pick up my keys and go out for a few minutes without saying a word, then come back in, again without making a fuss. It took a while but she's overcome that now. Maybe it's some connection with that, in which case it's probably not a bad thing after all, and I'm just being a muppet lol
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-11-2011, 12:33 AM
My wife can get up walk around the house ,go out come back ,and my dogs will not move from their beds.
She doesnt feed them,walk them so no reason for them to leave my side..
Paley71
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Maggie is a bit like this, she gets in bed with me when OH has gone to work, when I get up she refuses to budge...so me and Reg (who is full of the joys of spring) just go downstairs and leave her to it!
Usually after a couple of hours I'll hear her moving around (sometimes sooner if she thinks we're having fun without her) I go upstairs and bring her down...the stairs are too steep so she waits at the top!
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-11-2011, 05:19 AM
she wags her tail at you but can not be bothered getting out of bed. Also in her mind the household got up when she went out. She perhaps thinks that it is no different from seeing you after you take an afternoon nap or something. I have asian/oriental dogs who are pretty independent and because I get up after their morning walk there is no way they would get up when I come through! They have heard me shower etc so it is not like I have just come in through the front door. If my door is open they will come in and lie by my bed, that is what they enjoy, being in my company. When they were puppies it was different but they are not particularly infantile dogs.

My uncle has a Gordon setter and she will only welcome him in the morning, not his son or wife who she does not move a muscle for. He says that she thinks the pack hierarchy is him, her and then his wife and son!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >