Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2011, 11:56 PM

Danny has cataracts

Went to the vets today with Jenny, Danny and Guinness to get their boosters and the vet gave them a quick once over. All of them were ok except Danny has small cataracts in both eyes. He's ok at the moment and can see perfectly well but of course his eyesight will deteriorate. He's 8 years old now and I don't know if I should get them operated on or not. He is insured with More Than and they happily paid for Bessie to have hers done a few years ago.
When Bessie had her op (just one eye), we did it because her eyesight was very much worse than Danny is at the moment and she was bumping into things and she was only 6 at the time. It went ok and she stopped bumping into things but her eyesight was never that good even after the op.
Do you think I should get Danny done or not? Has anyone else had their dogs cataracts operated on with good success?
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I had a GSD born in 1992 who had them - one eye infront of lense, inside and behind the other eye wasnt has bad just inside lense and behind he was operated on at 10 month on the worst eye as by then he was completely blind in that eye and could just detect movement in the other - the operation was successful but 12mth later he developed corneal dystrophy in the eye that had been operated on and once again became blind in that eye - he coped with life very well though he used his chin for feeling the height of things he wanted to jump onto or other. the only difficulties he had was if it was very windy as he couldnt hear for the recall - then I used to send my other GSD to bring him back.
Whether it was because he had them at a young age or not I am unsure but his other sences were very acute.

I used the Othalmologist Pip Boydell in manchester for the op.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-09-2011, 03:42 PM
I would loo at his general health, along with the average age of the breed, if he is fit in most other ways , and this op will give him a better quality of life and he still has a good life in front of him, them yes I would go for it.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 04:05 PM
One of our labs developed cataracts at a very early age. I was only a child at the time and I can't remember exactly why he did not have them operated on. It wouldn't have been because of the cost, it was under the vet's recommendation not to.

If you decided against the operation, my experience with our lab was that he did adapt very well although he did go completely blind in the end. As Danny isn't an only dog, he would be able to follow the others around, as our lab did with our great dane. You had to be careful not to leave chairs out or he would bump into them. If the furniture was as it should be, he remembered the layout well. He didn't run around as much off lead and put on quite a bit of weight, obviously as a lab though that is more likely than Danny putting on a lot of weight. He did become quite dog aggressive in the end as even when he was on his lead, other owners would let their dogs charge up to him, which used to startle him.

Hopefully you will get a lot of feedback to make a decision. Keep us posted with how Danny gets on.x