Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:51 PM

Homeopathy for dogs??

Does anyone have any experience of using these??

I've done courses on human herbal remedies and am an advocate of it but does it work on dogs??

I know homeopathic and herbal remedies are different but they are still 'natural' remedies
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 06:53 PM
I use homoepathy quite a lot when needed and have done for over 12 years on the dogs and myself.

Appears to work, but who knows!
Damorin
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Homeopathy in itself isn't dangerous, but reliance on it over conventional medicine can be dangerous in the long run. For a human or a dog.

It is only dangerous if you rely on it instead of seeking medical advice from a doctor or vet, i've seen people get hurt badly because of homeopathy and I would always warn against it.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by Damorin View Post
Homeopathy in itself isn't dangerous, but reliance on it over conventional medicine can be dangerous in the long run. For a human or a dog.

It is only dangerous if you rely on it instead of seeking medical advice from a doctor or vet, i've seen people get hurt badly because of homeopathy and I would always warn against it.
Your point is very valid, including use of homeopathic nosades.

However additionally people often lump all non prescription "natural" remedies as homoepathy (i.e. treating like-with-like) from harmless "memory of water" homeopathy, with no molecule of active ingredient present and so no side effects, to herbal medicine, alcohol-preserved Bach flower remedies, etc, which do have active ingredients present.

Anything with an active ingredient, including preservative alcohol, can have a side effect, or interact adversely with other prescription or non-prescription remedies, so this also needs to be guarded against.

While it is legal for someone to treat their own animals with homeopathic treatments, it is against the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 for anyone other than a qualified vet to treat anyone else's animals conventionally or homeopathically, although there are those who do.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 10:46 PM
All of the above is true as is the fact that allopathic medicine can also have dangerous side effects........... and of course be fatal in some cases!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
All of the above is true as is the fact that allopathic medicine can also have dangerous side effects........... and of course be fatal in some cases!
As is all life ultimately.

However you usually get to fatal quicker if you fail to treat life-threatening injuries and illnesses.

Misused homeopathic treatments can also be fatal, but are less controlled and less consistent in strength and quality, with less data about contra indications, possible side effects and adverse interactions than POMs.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:03 PM
Someone recommended some homeopathic stuff to put in Baileys water to help calm him down, I was just wondering if it worked? They said it's used for firework anxiety too
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post
As is all life ultimately.

However you usually get to fatal quicker if you fail to treat life-threatening injuries and illnesses.

Misused homeopathic treatments can also be fatal, but are less controlled and less consistent in strength and quality, with less data about contra indications, possible side effects and adverse interactions than POMs.
I don't think the majority of people use homeopathy to treat "life threatening injuries and illnesses" any more than the majority of people fail to request ANY medical intervention at all!

Also I find the statement that homeopathic treatments can be fatal if they are also harmless "memory of water" homeopathy, with no molecule of active ingredient present and so no side effects a little odd?

If something has no active ingredients, is harmless and has no side effects, how can it be fatal?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
Someone recommended some homeopathic stuff to put in Baileys water to help calm him down, I was just wondering if it worked? They said it's used for firework anxiety too
Homoepathy, like herbs, acupuncture, magnets, foods, allopathic medicine works for some things some times...............

You cannot really do any harm with homeopathy, or flower essences, they either work or they do not.

But of course it is POSSIBLE for ANYTHING to be harmful to SOME living things, eg peanuts, whilst natural, can be lethal to those with a severe allergy!
Damorin
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-08-2011, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Baileys Blind View Post
It wouldn't do Bailey any harm, but the chances of it having any real effect are negligible. Homeopathic doctors pretty much refuse to allow their medicines to be tested properly and rely largely on placebo effect to make up for the fact that they are giving out nothing but water.

Speaking strictly about homeopathic medicine (It is important that the distinction is made, as has been said before, a lot of things are lumped with homeopathy which really shouldn't be) it is quite alarming when you look into the actual process of its creation, the very fact that these products are not addictive and has no side effects should really call into question its efficacy at all.

I did a lot of research into homeopathy as a possible solution to some issues I was personally going through, and I was just pretty shocked to discover that what they essentially give you is water, overpriced water, the process is utter nonsense and the principles of "Like for like" are no better. I ended up choosing not to use homeopathy, unfortunately the information it puts up is not always so honest.

An uncle of mine was told by a homeopathic "doctor" that by taking their medicines he would gain complete pain relief from his arthritis, at the time it was a small issue that didn't impact him much and he decided to go for it. The problem with this is that the medicines do absolutely nothing, and now my Uncle cannot walk without aid and is in agony pretty much every day of his life.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >