Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2011, 03:13 PM

Hot dogs

It's really hot here today, running at around 25C. I've seen some pretty hot dogs being walked in the middle of the day.
I hate to see it, mine are hardly ever out in temperatures over 20C and then we go to water.
I know that certain breeds can handle the heat better than others, but I wouldn't want to be out in a fur coat in this!!
What temperature is your usual upper limit?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Hmm, I guess it is a matter of perspective, but I think it has been nice today and not too hot. Dogs I find tend to do much worse in humidity and it isn't humid, but pleasantly warm.

I generally walk mine early and late anyway, but provided it was shaded and had a water source to cool off in, I would walk mine in the middle of the day on a day like today. I would NOT walk them through open fields with no water sources however. If it was hot AND humid, then no I would not walk them during the warm hours.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 04:20 PM
My rule of thumb is if I go outside and complain it's too hot to do anything - I ain't built for hot weather (too well insulated)!

I've got a couple of places I go that are fairly well-shaded in terms of woods or have streams to go in to cool off which makes things a bit easier - and I try to go out earlier rather than later on a morning (although Trevor the Terrier is making that hard - the dog's so out of control that about 10 people put leads straight on their dogs and left the park when it arrived the other day).

No idea what temperature it is here tbh - I only tend to know when I go past the army's nice entrance signboard that has it on it!

I however decided to do the garden in this (the dogs "helped" in between going in and out of the kitchen) - and have a cracking case of sunburn and my delightful husband's calling me a tomato... but I burn incredibly easily.

Incidentally a side effect of getting the dogs = reduced hair highlighting bills - my hair's naturally gone the lightest shade of blonde it's been for years with being out in the daylight so much!
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2011, 04:51 PM
HaHa
Oh yes, I have the most incredible highlights and they are all natural
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2011, 05:00 PM
If it's uncomfortable for me then it must be for them, also I have to take into account heat from the pavement of course as that can heat up incredibly.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-07-2011, 11:16 PM
It's been quite hot here recently. I still take Lana out at usual time of 11am, 5 minute walk to the park on sheltered side of the road. Once we're in the park I leave it up to her. We'll play for a bit as we're walking down the park then Lana usually goes in the shade under the trees. Yesterday morning wasn't so nice and we went to my dads but ended up walking up the road when it was absolutely roasting hot. I tried to stick to shady bits for Lana but wasn't always successful and I did feel awful about it. It's only about a 15 minute walk so it wasn't too far. I always take water for her when it's warm or sunny.

It doesn't matter what the weather is like Lana's not one to want to miss out on her walks
NCA1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2011, 12:18 AM
If it's too warm for me, i won't take them out in it- sitting in the garden is one thing, walking/running around is another! That said, i'm completely rubbish with heat anyway...
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 05:46 AM
I'm afraid the summer is the worst time for me. I love the sunshine, but hate the heat........

My dogs only get walked early and late

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Early morning walks are the norm for me, so that one's not a problem, but my usual 12 o'clock one has to be down the beach or in shaded woodland, although I've been lucky with a nice cool breeze on the go most days up until yesterday. I don't do evenings coz I'm in my jim jams, and it's like Cruft's out there, the whole world does evenings, and I don't like those tea time dog walkers, and late evenings I get the dog aggressive ones out on their own, so I gave up on that, so we have the garden which is in the shade by then.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2011, 06:39 AM
Yeah thankfully (not what people look for when they buy a house but it suits us) - our garden gets the very early sun and evening shade which is much nicer on the dogs than the other way around!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >