Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catyfl
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Deaf or not?

Hello everyone, my sweet Tilley seems to have gone deaf! At first I put it down to selective deafness but now wonder???
Havnt read much on here yet but really wanted to say Hi to you all
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Get her tested then.
catyfl
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Thanks for that, I had already thought of it thank you! Unfortunately as a lady of 78 and on govt pension only cannot afford such things. If she is ill she goes to vet, but other than that she is much loved and I would not be without her, also she loves me. I see you have big dogs,to each his own!
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
welcome to dogsey

can i ask why it matters that SB has big dogs?
catyfl
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Sorry, was a bit miffed at the rather terse reply to my post and thought maybe they had a problem with small dogs, personally I like all/most dogs -if they dont bite me lol
sorry again short fuse today!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by catyfl View Post
Sorry, was a bit miffed at the rather terse reply to my post and thought maybe they had a problem with small dogs, personally I like all/most dogs -if they dont bite me lol
sorry again short fuse today!

Amazing what people can read into posts.........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Grief!
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone, my sweet Tilley seems to have gone deaf! At first I put it down to selective deafness but now wonder???
Havnt read much on here yet but really wanted to say Hi to you all
Hello

Have you tried clapping behind her head when she doesnt know your there? If she doesnt look at where the sound comes from or the ears dont twitch, its pretty safe to say she is deaf.

Also does she seem surprised if shes dozing and you touch her?

Mine went temporarily deaf when he had an ear infection, he went stone deaf for about a month. The vet doubted it would ever return but luckily he started to get some back, hes still not 100% and you have to shout when you call him.
eyescrye
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
I think if you are worried and feel that she may be deaf or getting that way then as sb suggested then a trip to the vets would be the best thing he may have an infection or something which could easily be sorted,better to get it checked though,,if you cannot afford it ask your vets if he would allow you to pay it in installments or you could try the pdsa or the rspca for funding,but im sure if you have used the same vats before then they would allow you to pay it off,,
catyfl
New Member!
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Thank you that is really helpful. She does indeed jump if I touch her when asleep, also if she is unaware I am near and I stoop to fuss her she jumps as though I beat her with a stick! Guess will try clapping etc now, but even if deaf she is a dear and not an aggressive bone in her body. I have a cat whom she sleeps with and cat is BOSS! also 4 chooks in garden, who ignore Tilley and she ignores them lol I got her at just over a8 months from a 'breeder' it seems her stance wasnt up to scratch. Sadly she has still no idea how to play eg run for a stick, play with ball etc.now had her 6.5 years and still cant teach her to play.
dog_geek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Thank you that is really helpful. She does indeed jump if I touch her when asleep, also if she is unaware I am near and I stoop to fuss her she jumps as though I beat her with a stick! Guess will try clapping etc now, but even if deaf she is a dear and not an aggressive bone in her body. I have a cat whom she sleeps with and cat is BOSS! also 4 chooks in garden, who ignore Tilley and she ignores them lol I got her at just over a8 months from a 'breeder' it seems her stance wasnt up to scratch. Sadly she has still no idea how to play eg run for a stick, play with ball etc.now had her 6.5 years and still cant teach her to play.
Definitely suspect is deaf then. I would take her to the vets just in case it is an ear infection like mine had.

In the meantime try not to make her jump when shes asleep. If you need to wake her up then try stamping your feet on the ground as they feel the vibrations on the floor and wake up without being startled. If that doesnt work put your hand in front of her nose, if shes not too deep in sleep she will smell it and hopefully wake up to see what your up to. And touch her feet very gently while shes sleeping, gradually increasing the pressure of the stoke so she wakes up slowly. It can be very unsettling for a deaf dog to be constantly startled when sleeping.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >