Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Raw Diet Menus

When we had Loki he was fed on BARF, as that was what suited him. When he died and we got Dan I had two large dogs and not enough freezer space, so I started giving a combination of raw and kibble, which has been fine. Now though all three girls are off kibble, Dan will eat most things but the others are only interested in meat. I don't want to do BARF again as I know Dan and Rio won't eat veg under any circumstances! So I was looking into RMB, which is what I wanted to do all along. I now have a chest freezer for the dog's food and I'm all set to start feeding 100% raw meat diet. I belong to various groups and know where to get good info, but I wanted to see some sample diets, which is the one bit of info I seem to be lacking. I get lots of free bones and scraps from my butcher, as well as cheap ox hearts. I also buy Landywoods meat. None of the dogs are keen on fish.

Can anyone post some raw weekly menus? It would be really helpful!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 04:35 PM
see mine do have veg, but only every now and again, as to be honest mine arent keen on it either. daphni spits it out

i alter the the things so dont have an exact menu i follow but...

3 times a week they get bones (either chicken wings, or beef ribs)

tripe
turkey mince
lamb mince
^^these minces i use throughout the week, and usually have two packs on the go an alternate until they run out mine usually last 2 days with them being litte dogs

liver and kidney is added to one mince meal a day, every other week.

they also have fish twice a week either sardine or mackeral, they like the ones in tomato sauce.

once a week they get an egg each (usually sunday breakfast) which is normally scrambled as they dont really like it any other way
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
I dont stick to this, just get random things out of the freezer but this would be a sample menu for my lot:

Monday: Breakfast/dinner
Chicken carcass/chicken carcass
Tuesday
chicken carcass/chicken carcass
Wednesday
Tripe with liver or kidney/kibble with tinned fish
Thursday
Kibble with tinned Chappie/heart
Friday
Saturday
chicken carcass/turkey drumstick
Sunday
tripe/tripe

Obviously there is always other stuff thrown in to replace a particular meal (as I dont tend to feed kibble twice a week) such as pork ribs or hock, perhaps a lamb shank, rabbit, day old chicks, pigeon and the odd guinea fowl but it all depends on availablity and what is going cheap.
But there is always lots of chicken in my freezer and blocks of tripe so that is the bulk of their diet.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
My sister and I both feed raw so this week we ordered a bulk-buy from Albion and stuffed our freezers full.

Previously, Merlin's mainstay was tripe as that was the only frozen food the local pet shop keeps in stock. He does have veg but that's a fairly recent change: before that it was RMB.

So from now on, his menu will change every 2 days, rotating between beef, lamb, chicken and tripe minces. He has about half a block per day (blocks are 1lb in weight) plus his veg, plus chicken wings or necks - I would think one chicken neck per day is probably enough bone content.

I also bought a bag of liver chunks from Albion so he can now have a small piece of liver a day, instead of one liver meal per week which is how I did it before, or I could stick to that - for some reason I can always remember Sundays is Liver day.

Oh any by the way I took advantage of Fish4Dogs recent special offer and bought a box each of their salmon mousses for cat and dog - only Cuba won't touch it, so Merlin will be getting several of the pouches a week....
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I dont stick to this, just get random things out of the freezer but this would be a sample menu for my lot:

Monday: Breakfast/dinner
Chicken carcass/chicken carcass
Tuesday
Wednesday
Tripe with liver or kidney/kibble with tinned fish
Thursday
Kibble with tinned Chappie/heart
Friday
Saturday
chicken carcass/turkey drumstick
Sunday
tripe/tripe

Obviously there is always other stuff thrown in to replace a particular meal (as I dont tend to feed kibble twice a week) such as pork ribs or hock, perhaps a lamb shank, rabbit, day old chicks, pigeon and the odd guinea fowl but it all depends on availablity and what is going cheap.
But there is always lots of chicken in my freezer and blocks of tripe so that is the bulk of their diet.
day old chicks? I never thought of giving these to the dogs!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I dont think they are very nutritious but since I have to keep an eye on the collies weights they are perfect for feeding as a light meal. I wouldnt like to think how many you'd feed an EMD to keep it going!
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
This thread will help you

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=145205
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Jake doesn't get veg, and i do tend to stick to a weekly menu but adjust if i need to (its mainly just so i can know what to order, and keep track of which things i have left, and how long until they are used). He gets two meals a day. Jakes weekly menu is...

Monday - Chicken carcass and liver
Tuesday - Beef chunks and lamb ribs
Wednesday - Heart and fish
Thursday - Tripe and chicken wings
Friday - Chicken carcass and kidney
Saturday - Ox cheek and chicken necks
Sunday - Fish

If i get him things for a wee change like rabbit etc then his menu gets jiggled about a wee bit
Ciaobella
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2011, 11:15 PM
If you scroll down a bit on this link, they have 2 sample menus of their raw diets, I absolutely love this site, so I would recommend them, they also have a FAQ on raw feedings as well-

http://leerburg.com/diet2.htm

Good luck with raw!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
I don't work my two's diet out specifically, just get it out the freezer, but what they have is.

Chicken carcass and tripe daily
Some days they'll get chicken wing tips as well daily (depending on what the butcher has given me)
and then they have half a lb of mince daily, and the meats they have are minced chicken, minced lamb, economy mince (has lots of offal in, so they don't get extra offal other than on special occasions) and minced chicken&lamb.

They also have chondroitin, MSM and glucosamin tablet every day, and a few squirts of salmon oil
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >