Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Storm has hip dysplasia

We're so gutted, he's only a year old. Clearly in so much pain already yet the nicest dog I've ever had.

He's on painkillers and rest for 6 weeks, to decide if it needs treating conservatively or surgically. I don't want to put him through operations unless I have to it would be so unfair

Really really sad at the mo.
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Thats terrible, I'm really sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed it won't come to surgery just yet.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I am so sorry to hear that, must be awful for you all to have to rest when you should be out and about having fun (we know this with our just turned one bitch at the moment although hopefully hers is not permanent).

What made you suspect there may be a problem?

Get lots of kongs and training in over the next few weeks to wear him out.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh Lorna I know it must be such a shock and that you're thinking the worst scenarios. But treatments are available and miracles really do happen these days. I'm sure once you've had time to digest this and work out a plan of action with your vet, you'll feel better. Yes it is crap that Storm has it but you can help him and he is so lucky that he is with you and Rach. Big hugs to all of you xxxx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Oh no

How sad.

Have you got any hydro places? I know that can be fab for building up muscle around the joints.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:46 PM
I am so sorry that this happened in a dog so young and also a BC who is difficult to keep occupied at the best of times, even with exercise. I really hope treatment works. Big hugs for Storm xxx
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 07:48 PM
Really sorry to hear this and can totally understand that you're feeling low.

My Lab is under two and already there is a slight concern with one leg so my immediate query to the vet was about hip dysplasia. It's a big worry.

I've heard that hydrotherapy can be really helpful so maybe that's something to discuss with your vet?

Sending you best wishes.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Hydrotherapy is excellent for dogs with HD. Keep him occupied by doing "mind"exercising

What is his hip score & are his parents hip scored ?

My Jessie has severe HD(27:29=56)but by keeping her weight right & her well muscled up, she has no problems. Her HD was caused by her being fed a cr*p cheap adult diet & also being kept crated for the first 15 months of her life for 23 hours a day.

I'm taking my Keewee for Penn Hip assessment this Friday, Penn Hip assessment can be done from 4 months onwards & can predict if the dog will have any problems later in life. If the dog is done very young it's normal to do again after a year old. Keewee is 12 months old on the 1st May so won't need to be done again
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 08:38 PM
so sorry hun I agree Hydro will be such a help
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
I am sorry, I know you will be feeling rubbish just now but hopefully it wont be as bad as you fear
A guy down the road from me only realised his dog had bad hips when he started to become really agressive
But with hydro and pain meds he is totaly fine

Like others have said, good weight and muscles can do wonders

Poor you and poor pup tho hope you dont need surgary
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >