Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Bentley's First Show

The day of Bentley's first show finally arrived !

So at 6m and 1 day we set off to the Gordon Setter Association Champ Show at Stoneleigh Park.

Good journey and aside from picking him up this was probably only his second long car journey but with his trusted pal by his side he was a superstar!

Arrived with plenty of time and discovered that we weren't the only ones using the venue. I don't think have seen so many Siberian Huskies!!! the noise too lol!!! Thought my Gordons could be noisy!

Couldn't believe how many they pack into their vans too - cages are three high and in one case must have been five back!

Jess was first in with the handling - such a shame the handling numbers have dwindled for the breed again

It was just Jess and another girl in the 12-16 - both are experienced handlers so it was a battle for BJH!

Jess lost out to the older girl but the handling judge was very complimentary on her handling and it was really down to the last up and down

The judge for the dogs was in a disability scooter and this had been rumoured so I was aware and was fairly sure both Connor and Bentley were going to be ok as they had seen plenty of scooters at open shows and neither seemed to bat an eyelid. Plus even though Bentley is a pup he is very bombproof and not wary of anything!!

But some people hadn't been aware which potentially could have been a problem.

Before Bentley was in we watched the vintage and veteran she really had thought about how she was going to manage the situation.

She would view the dogs in the line up as usual - but from side only - she would turn her seat so she could watch the dogs go round.

Then she moved her scooter and you went to her to present and then moved the dog to her to check teeth and for her to go over the dog - she did all this seating in position - she would do the front of the dog and then you moved the dog so she could do the back. It wasn't ideal I guess but it seemed to work.

I can honestly say I don't think any dog was surprised or put off by the experience which is a credit to all - do think numbers were slightly down perhaps having heard? The dogs were just going to someone sitting down! Even when she went up to view in the line up didn't see any turn heads or anything!

Well Bentley went in and he was a bit of a clown - we had to do two circuits and he hopped skipped jumped tried to do a roll in the grass in between some bouts of movement!!! then did get in his stride!

Well he got 1st place in minor puppy

Connor also won his class 1st in Post Graduate

Jess took Bentley in for the challenge and I took Connor - was a bit of a joke in the line up that I had given Jess the short straw - also as they are such pals if they spotted each other they would do the whinging thing to each other!!! but think we got away with it lol!

Jess did such a super job though - if I'm honest better job than me !!!

Bentley was beaten for Best Puppy Dog by his half brother who then went on to win BPIS!

Pictures of Connor to follow but took some of Bentley today
with his rather special trophies - the biggest I have won so far!

Was a lovely day out, lovely venue and really social -there were a few iffy temperaments on some dogs which saddened me - also heard one of the minor puppy bitches snapped at the bitch judge

So think Bentley boo didn't do too bad and Connor was fab too

Proud of Jess doing so well in handling and then with a 6m puppy!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:36 PM
My goodness, where has the time gone..I still think of Bentley being a baby puppy

Well done on your placings, you are having a brilliant run and I hope it continues, your baby boy looks stunning in the photos xx
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Aww - glad you had a good day Sounds like your pup did fab

Shame to hear about the incidents - hopefully just one offs.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Congratulations on the placings, and what a beautiful boy Bentley is, looks so proud
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Well done, Bently, Connor, Jess and Rachael. You really are having a wonderful time, no more bridesmaid for Connor then, and sounds as if Bentley, will follow in his footsteps. Lovely photos. Gayle. Xx
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 07:15 AM
He is just beautiful,well done to you all
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Well done He's gorgeous there are a couple of Gordons doing HTM they seem real characters
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
My goodness, where has the time gone..I still think of Bentley being a baby puppy

Well done on your placings, you are having a brilliant run and I hope it continues, your baby boy looks stunning in the photos xx
LOL I know!! he's going to be bigger than the boys here but hope not too much bigger ! full of puppy antics still though Sherree!

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Aww - glad you had a good day Sounds like your pup did fab

Shame to hear about the incidents - hopefully just one offs.
Thank you he did really well esp for his first show !

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Congratulations on the placings, and what a beautiful boy Bentley is, looks so proud
Thanks DD he does look proud doesn't he bless him!

Originally Posted by footsieG View Post
Well done, Bently, Connor, Jess and Rachael. You really are having a wonderful time, no more bridesmaid for Connor then, and sounds as if Bentley, will follow in his footsteps. Lovely photos. Gayle. Xx
Thanks Gayle - am sure we will have ups and downs but its all fun and enjoying the moment lol!

Originally Posted by tink View Post
He is just beautiful,well done to you all
Thank you Tink

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Well done He's gorgeous there are a couple of Gordons doing HTM they seem real characters
Many thanks - wonder if that is Karen with Vienna who also does agility she is amazing although not sure the other might be They love being the clown and centre of attention these Gordons !
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2011, 08:49 AM
Awww well done Bentley and Connor!!
They are such a fab pair I am not surprised! You haven't made my want of a Gordon any easier by showing darling Bentley!
Suejaw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Woohoo well done!!!
Very proud of you, Jess and the boys!!

Bentley sitting there as if butter wouldn't melt, hmmm...lol
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >