Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:19 AM

Racial abuse!!

last night i was racially abused on a well known social network words to the affect that im a dirty jew who shouldve been gassed in the chamber! unfortunatly it was put on his page for everyone to read and someone printed it for me and bought it round BUT had police round last night who informed me that there is no law against this as it was on his page (even thou he had put on mine did i want a shower then explained what he meant gas chamber!!)
it upset my son much more than it did me as hed just got back from berlin and went to a concerntration camp and alot of my relis were killed in the camps.
so hes now on a mission to get the law changed hes 14 and very determind and very angry wanted to go and punch the bloke (who lives in our village!!) but knows if he does thats his army carreeer down the drain.
me i have no clue where to start to help him what should i do write to our mp? ive already emailed a lady on local newspaper but any ideas who else to write to
many thanks
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Why did you tell your son? It puts such a lot of responsibility on his shoulders that shouldn't be there.

Sticks and stones and all that.

rune
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:42 AM
lol i didnt tell my son! he saw it before i did! he was the one who called the police he was the one who was angered that the law doesnt excist(sp) so i have put no responsibaitly on his shoulders what so ever im just trying to transfer his anger into something constructive
and tbf its alot more than sticks and stones dirty jew ok name calling but the other bit well not on really.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:56 AM
So the person who brought it round gave it to your 14 year old son----some friend that is--- in two ways!

Personally I'd tell your son that you are above such playground behaviour, the abuse was aimed at you and you are a grown up and able to handle it and he needn't be responsible or worried.

And I'd dump the 'friend' who gave him the print out faster than light!

rune
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:56 AM
I am sorry that this has happened to you and your family, but I think I would check the legal aspect out with the lawyers. The internet is a public place - I think even a person's page/blog whatever is in the public domain - just like writing something on a wall. It is against the law to spread racial hatred and be racially abusive in a public arena which appears to be what has happened in your case. It maybe that the police didn't want to pursue it in this instance. Worth checking out from a professional I would think.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-03-2011, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by angied View Post
i have no clue where to start to help him what should i do write to our mp? ive already emailed a lady on local newspaper but any ideas who else to write to
many thanks
First, if this is the social network that claims to have 60 million members and is helping to bring harmony to the world then I'm glad I'm not on it (Book face or some such stupid name!!!)

Second, the most important thing is to try to get your son to take a deep breath and step back, publishing insults gives some people a sense of power and replying just makes it worse.

Third, it will be a long tedious journey to get the law changed but that does not mean it's not worth doing, it just means that both of you will have to set out a plan, list all the things you can do, have diary reminders to once a month write to an MP or newspaper asking for support, organise sponsored runs, etc.

Finally, if you can find a name and physical address for the book face muppets, write to him / her (A letter not an e-mail) and send copies to your MP and the local rag. This will be the most difficult since I couldn't find anything when I was looking at their site, not that I wanted to join just wanted to see if they take their corporate responsibilties seriously.

HTH
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Worth checking out from a professional I would think.
Good advice, and it used to be that the first meeting was free, not sure if that still applies but definately worth checking with a lawyer, they do have their uses
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-03-2011, 10:07 AM
[quote=angied;2218775]

Edited out this post due to mis understanding
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:27 AM
My husbands Black, and over years periodically has had racial abuse thrown at him.

Once by a Polish bus-driver...(my hubby is a bus driver too) the police were called cutting a long story short, the Polish man was corsioned in the Police Station, but because my hubby said...''you better watch your step mate otherwise I may knock your F head off ( and stood up ...all 6ft odd of him).....so was he for verbal abuse and threatening behaviour even though he never touched the guy.

Its a long road to go down and sometimes you get no-where, I'd personally report the abuse to the network admin and block the guy altogether

As for your lad, I think (if it were me) I'd take the pressure off him. Personally I watch my hubby rise above these things now and I think he has to be admire for not stooping as low as them
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
and then showed it to 14 year old lad, that's terrible, what were they thinking as mentioned above that in itself is just stirring up hatred, something like that should not even be thought about by a 14 year old.
sorry think rune mentioned they showed it to my 14 year old son BUT just to clarify they bought it round to show ME not my son he had already read it on the fb page so didnt need to see the print out!
thanks to all who have given me advise (which is wha the post is about) and those who pm me as well with great advise thank you for your support and im sad im not the only one going thru this sort of thing
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >