Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 10:38 AM

Update on Henry

Some of you may recall I was having trouble with Henry on the odd occasions that I had to leave him at home alone. The advice I got from you all was brilliant and I soon realised that he wasn't doing anything wrong, it was my fault, and I took on board what you advised

We close the office off now whenever we go out, and I have also started doing this overnight, so he has the run of the hallway and the utility room. We put his bed into the utility room, underneath the worktop and he snuggles down there quite happily, ( he used to sleep on the sofa in the office overnight, or in the hallway, whichever he felt most comfortable doing). That means that although there are doors and skirting that he could chew when we are out, he hasn't attempted to do anything like that, he seems more contented just having the smaller place to be in.

I also got his Kong out again, I tried his favourite pepperami in it and it was a great hit with him.

He is absolutely fine overnight, he usually was anyway, and we have left him for 1 hour max so far and not had any problems. I wouldn't really feel happy leaving him for any longer than that to be honest, but when I'm back at the hospital next month there may be some times that it could stretch to 1 1/2 hours before Clive is back in with him, we shall have to just take that as it comes.

Anyway, I wanted to thank all of those that gave us such good advice and to tell you that training can be done with reward and kindness...I didn't have to plug him in at the mains at all
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
We put his bed into the utility room, underneath the worktop and he snuggles down there quite happily,
So it's like a little 'cave' personally I think that places like this become a 'place of safety' and if nothing bad has ever happened there then they are happy to go there and feel secure there. That in itself will help him when you are out.

So glad he's not causing you anymore worries.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
So it's like a little 'cave' personally I think that places like this become a 'place of safety' and if nothing bad has ever happened there then they are happy to go there and feel secure there. That in itself will help him when you are out.

So glad he's not causing you anymore worries.
Thanks H...he definately seems more contented when we have to leave him
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Is good to read that Henry is more settled and happy and you too, sometimes little changes can make a big difference x
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Is good to read that Henry is more settled and happy and you too, sometimes little changes can make a big difference x
Thanks K9 x