Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dan&chip
New Member!
Female 

20-02-2011, 11:01 PM

Newbie has joined - Advice on feeding

hi there every1 just wanted a bit of advice with what the best food to feed my sprocker on he cant have wet food as it goes right through him any help? thanx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Not all wet foods are the same, how old is your dog, what are you feeding at the moment, what frequency and what amounts?

IME the biggest cause of the squits is overfeeding followed by inappropriate feeding.

Have you tried vacuum packed foods such as Natures Harvest?

Just meat, veg and rice, dogs love it and most dogs with gippy tummies do well on it too.

But your dog may have an intolerance to a specific ingredient, which then means, rather than just switching brands, you need to switch to a variety (or brand) that does not include that trigger.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Was it Pedigree Chum? Acts like ex-lax that does.
I`d try to find out what he`s sensitive to rather than go buying lots of different foods.
If you only feed one thing at a time - like chicken (real chicken that is!) and he`s OK then you know it`s not chicken. So then you add cooked rice or a different meat etc. If he is loose you then know what is causing it and can avoid it.
This called the elimination method btw.
The trouble with processed food is that it contains so many imgredients it`s very hard to work out what is upsetting the dog. Also I object to paying for stuff they can`t digest (sugar beet etc) so I feed Raw.
dan&chip
New Member!
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Hi there fanx 4 the reply.
My dog is nearly 3, he is a cocker spaniel cross springer spaniel.
I have only had him about a month now, the lady I got him off said he can't have wet dog food as it goes through him. So 2 b honest I haven't tried him on any.
When I asked her what she fed him on she simply said dry dog food an own brand by her local small pet shop.
The thing is he seems 2 b very uninterested in the dry food and seems 2 only eat it l8 in the day when u can tell hes hungry.
I'v had dogs before and haven't really come across any problems with feeding so feel abit silly 2 b asking.
Also I'v noticed alot of people feed their dogs raw - this may sound silly but what is raw?
Is it proper meat that u just dont cook?
I mean say a chicken leg or something and u just give it 2 them? Bone and everything uncooked?
What are the benefits 2 this?
Do u not find he gets more protective ova his food?
Apart from raw what would u recommend as a dry food?
I feed him in the am and again in the pm but most times as he doesn't finish his feed he just has what he left at night in the morning.
Fanx 4 ur reply
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by dan&chip View Post

I feed him in the am and again in the pm but most times as he doesn't finish his feed he just has what he left at night in the morning.
Fanx 4 ur reply

I would suggest you stop leaving food out overnight - whatever he leaves in his evening meal, you take away. Full stop.

Same with morning meal - he gets a certain time period in which to eat it, anything he doesn't eat, you take away and throw away.

There are lots of good dry and wet foods, here are some:

WET

Nature's Menu
Arden Grange tinned wet food
Nature's Harvest
Wainwrights trays (not pouches, trays)

DRY

Arden Grange
Fish 4 Dogs
Orijen
Burns