Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:44 PM

Dogs and Buses?

What are the rules?

I was on a bus a few years ago with Sadie and my Friend and her dog Snoop. It was empty - there was us and a few others and this woman starts on at my friend Sam - that Snoop shouldn't be on the seat, then Sam made a valid point: "He paid for his seat and if someone needs to sit down then he will be told to get off so that person can sit down" - well fair's fair right?

Today coming home from the vets - the bus was a double decker and not many people downstairs and Louie likes to look out of the windows - I'd brought a towel with me to dry his tummy and legs at the vets - he didn't need to go on the table so I didn't use it - so as he was a little unsettled coming home opposed going where he was very well behaved and sat on the floor and sniffed..I put the towel on the seat and let him come up so he could look out the window - it calmed him down and as we were sat at the front - the driver was asked and he said as long as he's on the towel.

Anyway there was a man a few seats back tutting and shaking his head at me and Louie - wasn't happy - but if someone had wanted to sit there I would've told him to get off and lay on the floor - he paid for his seat too

So what are the rules when travelling on public transport?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:48 PM
You should absolutely not have a dog on a seat! Why would you do that? Dogs feet get filthy people dont need to be sitting on the seats after a dog has been on them.

I regularly take the dogs to work on the bus, they stay on the floor in front of me. You dont pay for dogs here at all, but in any case, a dog is a dog he doesnt have the same "rights" as a person.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You should absolutely not have a dog on a seat! Why would you do that? Dogs feet get filthy people dont need to be sitting on the seats after a dog has been on them.

I regularly take the dogs to work on the bus, they stay on the floor in front of me. You dont pay for dogs here at all, but in any case, a dog is a dog he doesnt have the same "rights" as a person.
Same as Dawn mine go on the bus but I'd not expect to have them on the seat
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Not sure about the rules, I have taken Tom and Bella on the local bus a couple of times just for the experience for them , dogs are free on our local buses ! Tom sat on the floor under my legs and Bella stood at my side as she was a bit more nervous and needed reassurance, I got some funny looks but generally people were just curious and a little lad said , havent those dogs got really pointy noses ! if you are paying for a dog I cant see why it cant have a seat and its probably cleaner than some of the people who sit on the bus ! Check with the local bus company they usually have a website.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

See that's where the towel came in handy - no one had to sit on a filthy seat..it had a towel over it

We have to pay full child fare for dogs here..
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
Not sure about the rules, I have taken Tom and Bella on the local bus a couple of times just for the experience for them , dogs are free on our local buses ! Tom sat on the floor under my legs and Bella stood at my side as she was a bit more nervous and needed reassurance, I got some funny looks but generally people were just curious and a little lad said , havent those dogs got really pointy noses ! if you are paying for a dog I cant see why it cant have a seat and its probably cleaner than some of the people who sit on the bus ! Check with the local bus company they usually have a website.
I did ask the driver and he was fine with it - as he isn't a big dog - nor a little one but he was sat on the towel..

I saw a greyhound today in the vets - not a rescue though which I found a little strange all greys I come across are rescues
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Most bus companies are private nowadays (if not all?) and thus each will have their own policy(ies).

they must accept assistance dogs.

for pet dogs most companies state the following:

You can travel with any dog or domestic animal, unless there is a good reason for them to refuse it (such as if the animal seems dangerous or is likely to upset other customers).

You must keep it under control on a lead or in a suitable container, and must not allow it on a seat. Staff can't take charge of any animal.

So in other words they might let a labrador on, but take exception to a GSD/Rott etc!

In practice it is the driver that decides whether or not you get on, and TBH whether or not their decision is reasonable or not is a moot point when it has driven off and left you in the rain!

I certainly would not want to sit on a seat that a dog had sat on with its dirty paws and bum! Remember people travel with babies and small children and often people are going to and from from hospital, so basic rules of hygiene apply.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I did ask the driver and he was fine with it - as he isn't a big dog - nor a little one but he was sat on the towel..

I asked the driver too the first time I went on the bus as I wasnt sure if they were even allowed on buses, I didnt expect them to get a seat tho , I just hoped they would behave and be able to travel by bus if I needed to and they did !

I saw a greyhound today in the vets - not a rescue though which I found a little strange all greys I come across are rescues
No not all greys are rescues mainly the ex racers , some are bred for showing and other things
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't let my dogs on the seat either. Not that my two would fit anyway but it's just not that hygenic/clean, nor is it fair for those with dog allergies who may find themself sat on a seat full of dog hair (even sat on a towel, hairs could shed and get stuck in the back of the seat).
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I wouldn't let my dogs on the seat either. Not that my two would fit anyway but it's just not that hygenic/clean, nor is it fair for those with dog allergies who may find themself sat on a seat full of dog hair (even sat on a towel, hairs could shed and get stuck in the back of the seat).
Good point didnt think of allergies
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »