Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:16 PM

Sick dogs

It all started saturday morning, got up and there were six piles of yellow bile sick, and as Anoush and Kalli dont sleep in a cage it had to be one of them. Watched them closely and come to conclusion it was Anoush as she was very quiet and subdued.
Fed supper to all, couple hours later Anoush threw it all up, while i fetched the clean up stuff, she had eaten it again eeeuuuggghhhh!! then threw it all up again hour later!!
Took her to bed to keep eye on her and she seemed to be a bit better.
Got up sunday morning and Kacie had up-chucked in her cage!! but didn't seem to be ill with it as Anoush had been.
Took them all out and Anoush and Kacie seemed fine, no breakfast as decided to fast them till supper time, about twenty four hours from supper saturday night. Fed fish4dogs as thought it would be better than raw for iffy tums and they are fed it couple times a week anyway.
Got up today, monday and Winter had been very sick in his cage!! He also had a very runny foul smelling greenish poo. He has been just like Anoush very quiet and subdued, so have had a quiet day with the dogs.
Then this afternoon Kalli, the only one not been sick yet, upchucked all her supper from last night, and is now being quiet and subdued.
They have not been anywhere different, been fed any thing different and I always clean up the poo from the garden when it has been done.
I have been ill too!! with diarrhoea and a bit sick through sunday night......

Any ideas?????? could I have caught something from the dogs... I always wash my hands properly and clean up when they have been ill. have they got/had a bug or some thing from when it thawed????
If it carries on into tomorrow or any of the dogs get very ill I will ring the vet, they are all booked in for thursday for boosters and check ups any way, so will def mention it when I go.

Suggestions anyone.

sorry for long post.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:20 PM
I know there's been a bug going round the humans and I'm sure there's one been going round the dogs too, maybe they caught it whilst they were out on a walk?

Sorry not too helpful - I know Louie's not very well, he's got runs but we have no idea what from, although I do know that any sick he throws up is self inflicted (he eats his rope toys)

Hope you all get well soon..
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:39 PM
3 of my 5 had a bug 3 weeks ago. Same symptoms as yours. They were sick and had diarrhoea and off their food. 2 of them recovered after 2 days (one day of starving and one day of boiled chicken and rice) and Bessie continued to have diarrhoea with blood in it so we had to take her to the vets. She recovered within 2 days after having antibiotics and steroids for the colitis the bug caused hence the blood.
I don't know if it was a coincidence but Graham had diarrhoea the same time and so did I Also had stomach cramps but didn't feel sick and could eat normally. I NEVER get stomach bugs. Being a nurse I'm immune to lots of stuff but this got me.
There's definitely a dog bug going around, a few people I know have had dogs with the same symtoms as ours.
I hope you and yours are feeling better soon xxxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
some of mine are being sick..but not the squits

hope peeps dogs are getting better

my thoughts to zoe1969 is 'giardia' maybe
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Oh how awful that all of your dogs have now fallen sick and you as well Have they all eaten anything that you have eaten yourself, i.e. left over turkey??? Think back to when it started and see if you fed them any human leftover, coz it could point to that, something you've ALL eaten.

Apart from that they could have picked up a bug, but doggy bugs are very different to our human bugs, although of course, some are transmitted and visa versa. Hopefully it is a 24 or 48 hour thing and they will all be ok again soon and so will you. I do know we have a human sickness/diarrhea bug going around at the moment, but I've not heard of anything going round as far as the dogs are concerned.

Sorry, not much help, I just hope you're all better very soon.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
It all started saturday morning, got up and there were six piles of yellow bile sick, and as Anoush and Kalli dont sleep in a cage it had to be one of them. Watched them closely and come to conclusion it was Anoush as she was very quiet and subdued.
Fed supper to all, couple hours later Anoush threw it all up, while i fetched the clean up stuff, she had eaten it again eeeuuuggghhhh!! then threw it all up again hour later!!
Took her to bed to keep eye on her and she seemed to be a bit better.
Got up sunday morning and Kacie had up-chucked in her cage!! but didn't seem to be ill with it as Anoush had been.
Took them all out and Anoush and Kacie seemed fine, no breakfast as decided to fast them till supper time, about twenty four hours from supper saturday night. Fed fish4dogs as thought it would be better than raw for iffy tums and they are fed it couple times a week anyway.
Got up today, monday and Winter had been very sick in his cage!! He also had a very runny foul smelling greenish poo. He has been just like Anoush very quiet and subdued, so have had a quiet day with the dogs.
Then this afternoon Kalli, the only one not been sick yet, upchucked all her supper from last night, and is now being quiet and subdued.
They have not been anywhere different, been fed any thing different and I always clean up the poo from the garden when it has been done.
I have been ill too!! with diarrhoea and a bit sick through sunday night......

Any ideas?????? could I have caught something from the dogs... I always wash my hands properly and clean up when they have been ill. have they got/had a bug or some thing from when it thawed????
If it carries on into tomorrow or any of the dogs get very ill I will ring the vet, they are all booked in for thursday for boosters and check ups any way, so will def mention it when I go.

Suggestions anyone.

sorry for long post.
Sounds like it could be Giardia. Have they been spreading human sewage sludge on the fields around you, or where you walk your dogs?

The vet can test the feces for Giardia, but it is notoriously difficult to pick up in a test. My advice would be to worm them with Panacur wormer - the only dog wormer that will kill Giardia. You have to worm them on 3 consecutive days, follow the instructions on the bottle. If they get better, then you know it was Giardia - it works almost instantly. At the worst, you will have wasted your money, at best you will have worm-free, Giardia-free dogs! Panacur is very safe, we have to dose our 3 for 3 consecutive days every 8-12 weeks, one of whom is a tiny chihuahua.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
some of mine are being sick..but not the squits

hope peeps dogs are getting better

my thoughts to zoe1969 is 'giardia' maybe
That's interesting. I guess it could have been giardia. They recovered by themselves though except for Bessie. Could they do that with giardia?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
No, they won't recover by themselves with giardia. Both my dogs had this 18 months ago, it was a nightmare. You would be getting bright yellow projectile diarreah as well as the intermittent sickness/refusing food. there'd be blood in that diarrhea too. As Gnasher says, it's very, very difficult to get a diagnosis with a poo sample, you'd have to be taking one in there every day for a week or two to even get a "positive". the only way to eliminate it is like Gnasher says. The vet would prescribe metronidazole, but that only wards it off, it comes back. It also comes back two weeks after you use the Panacur, so you have to do it all over again for 3 days in 2 weeks' time and then it's gone, gone forever! Drinking old dirty water can bring it on along with what Gnasher said above. I'm sure your dogs didn't have that, unless you had those symptoms above? good luck with them anyway.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 09:15 PM
actually dogs can carry/have giardia with not many symptoms..it can come in bouts too...so if the symptoms comes back again for your dogs or family i would think of the possibility.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
actually dogs can carry/have giardia with not many symptoms..it can come in bouts too...so if the symptoms comes back again for your dogs or family i would think of the possibility.
Us humans have suffered from Giardia as well. Some of the evidence shows that dogs are in fact a vector for humans. I think you're right about dogs carrying Giardia without necessarily displaying the symptoms. Certainly in the case of Tai, he was desperately ill. We nearly lost him, he was so dehydrated, and so was I when I first had symptoms. But both dog and human seem to have learned to live with it, we have flare ups from time to time, we take Panacur, and it knocks it on the head - until the next time.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >