Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Cutaneous histiocytoma

Hi

been to vets with Bella this morning and she has what they think is a cutaneous histiocytoma on the tip of her ear , been advised to have it surgically removed under anaesthetic next week and because of where it is they may have to remove the tip of her ear.

Does anyone have any experience of this condition , I have googled and got some info but any advice would be appreciated.

She is a grey who has just turned 3.

Many Thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-11-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi Maureen , one of my previous dogs had a CH on one of her toes, the vet said they often go spontaneously after about three month but this one didn't it got bigger and became ulcerated so the vet advised having it removed at the same time the dog was spayed which I did. It was a nightmare to keep clean and dry, Millie kept licking it the moment she got the chance...

I don't know where abouts on the ear Bella's CH is but if the vet wishes it remove it I guess he thinks due to its position it is better off because it could cause problems in the future.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-11-2010, 03:36 PM
this also happened to my dog hers was on her side apparently it happens alot to dogs between two and three and as mentioned they can disapear by them selfs they can also come back after removal my dog had hers removed and has been fine since wish you luck x
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies , I have taken some further advice and it seems maybe to wait a couple of weeks and if the lump is not getting bigger there is a chance it may go on its own , the risk is, if it gets knocked and gets infected then we may have a bigger problem than we started with.

I am speaking to vet later today to try and get her views, it was a locum vet on Sat when we had the appt and I trust the view of my regular vet so will see what she says.

I think it was the gung ho attitude of cutting half of Bellas ear off if necessary and her saying I wouldnt really notice that put me off. I am sure Bella would !

I was kinda hoping they could do a biopsy or a needle aspiration first to check what the lump was and then if a radical procedure is required then at least we know we are doing the right thing.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2010, 02:49 PM
My vet is just great ! She agrees that a needle aspiration is the right thing so we know what we are dealing with and Bella will have that done on Tues under local if she tolerates it or a bit of sedation if required (most likely she is a bit wimpy poor gal !)

Results in a week and then we can make make an informed descion about next steps , its good when a plan comes together. I feel so much happier now !
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 01:41 AM
My collie x had one on his chin and it eventually disappeared by itself. Guinness has one on his ear too....he's 3. It's not getting any bigger so I'm just keeping an eye on it.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Wish Bella luck this morning !

Off to the vets this morning with Bella for her to have a biopsy/needle aspiration on the lump on her ear. Hopefully can be done under local but she is a bit of a wimp poor gal but also very tolerant to interventions just rather noisy in the process , she may have to be sedated if she doesnt tolerate it. At least then we can make an informed decision about next steps when we know what it is and hopefully it is non malignant as the vet thinks and she will be fine .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Maureen have you looked at the pictures of a histiocytoma , they are quite distinctive and benign..

I had a problem with Millie's because it was on her foot and she kept licking it all the time, I couldn't keep a protecting collar on her indefinitely .
I am sure Bella will be fine ..
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Maureen have you looked at the pictures of a histiocytoma , they are quite distinctive and benign..

I had a problem with Millies because it was on her foot and she kept licking it all the time.
I am sure Bella will be fine ..
thanks for that , yes sure she will be fine , its changed again , its not bright red like that and its more of irregular shape but anyway we will find out soon what it is and get it dealt with , thanks for all the info , it really helps
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2010, 10:52 AM
good luck hope everything goes well xx