Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Autarky

Iv recently changed my 2 from a chepa food back onto Wainwrights as the other food turned out not to suit them.
Anyway, the wainwrihts I have used before but yesterday when we went shopping I found a 15kg bag of Autarky for £12, iv heard thats its simular to JWB and Burns so figured it must be a very good food. We couldnt really afford JWB or Burns lol but thought for this price it was a bargain!

Can anyone tell me whats the difference between Autarky, JWB, Burns and Wainwrights, which is £32 a bag..not that we dont mind paying it, but if we can get the same basic food for half the price we'll go for that, as Im sure you can understand!

greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Have a look on the Autarky website, the main ingredient in the food is maize, it doesn't state meat content either which is misleading. Protein content is important as well, you don't want a high protien unless your dog is high energy or working or he'll be bouncing off the walls lol.

I haven't tried it myself but no doubt someone will post who has. I use CSJ who are also stockists of Autarky, have a look at their website as well !
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
I think the first ingredient is Maize - but there is also another maize based filler in there - Mum used it on her springer.....the effects were not pleasant.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I think the first ingredient is Maize - but there is also another maize based filler in there - Mum used it on her springer.....the effects were not pleasant.
Whats the problem with maize? Excuse my ignorance!
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Maize is a cereal, but the way the ingredients are stated on labels on dog food, they have to state them in the order that the food is made up, so in this case, maize is the main ingredient, then meat meal (as i said it doesn't state the percentage) then if you look at the rest of the ingredients its mainly cereals which are used to bulk out the food, this usually produces lots of waste, i.e. poo !

You could email Autarky and ask the question, what percentage of meat meal is in the food. I wouldn't go for anything under 20% personally because otherwise its just all fillers.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-10-2010, 05:00 PM
There is mainly maize then another maize by product as well. Etta was VERY allergic to something in it---I am assuming the cereals but I am not about to try and find out. She is on fish4dogs now or Burns, with no maize in any treats and crackerjacks for night night biccies!

She was close to dying and it happenbed very fast.

rune
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 09:59 AM
on one site i looked at it was 70% maize! (think it was a chicken verison)
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
There is mainly maize then another maize by product as well. Etta was VERY allergic to something in it---I am assuming the cereals but I am not about to try and find out. She is on fish4dogs now or Burns, with no maize in any treats and crackerjacks for night night biccies!

She was close to dying and it happenbed very fast.

rune
OMG! Thats so scary! Im almost inclined not to try it :S

Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
on one site i looked at it was 70% maize! (think it was a chicken verison)
Hmm great! So its basically all cereals
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
OMG! Thats so scary! Im almost inclined not to try it :S

Hmm great! So its basically all cereals
I am using it right now ,, 3 bags in .. And ozzie is a tad windy with this bag ... A 2* dog food going by the reviews i have read ...
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2010, 09:33 AM
its definitely a working dog food, my friend uses it for her farm dog which is extremely high energy and works for hours at a time.

I am actually in the process of comparing this to Bakers Complete for a college project.

The results should be interesting.. Will have to post them to you when all is finished!

Basically her dog was fed a handful of bakers (the devils dog biscuits) for 4 days.. Quite disastrous results behaviour wise! She put it back onto Autarky very quickly! Bakers caused some nasty aggression problems and caused the dog to become extremely hyperactive like a young child who has drank a can of energy drink and then scoffed several packets of skittles.
This was only a handful of Bakers. Worrying.

I'm in the process of comparing the ingrediants, and meat content and also the behaviours it had on the dog.

One thing I will say is the Autarky website states that it only uses human-grade chicken meat and natural antioxidents so it should not have any nasty colours and dodgy preservatives which makes dogs very hyper! Struggling to find the amount of meat however. I'm sure it cant be much worse than Bakers 4% of "fresh meat derivatives" Yeck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >