Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:50 AM

Supplementing with oils? which to use?

cant decide which oil supplement to use on the dogs food..

they are currently on salmon oil.. and its near the end of the bottle, ive seen other oils but i dont really know the difference between them and dont know which one i should feed.

so if any one could help (maybe by saying what they use?)

i have been thinking:

salmon oil
cod liver oil
evening primose oil
yumega oil

which do you use and why? any differences you have noticed?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
cant decide which oil supplement to use on the dogs food..

they are currently on salmon oil.. and its near the end of the bottle, ive seen other oils but i dont really know the difference between them and dont know which one i should feed.

so if any one could help (maybe by saying what they use?)

i have been thinking:

salmon oil
cod liver oil
evening primose oil
yumega oil

which do you use and why? any differences you have noticed?

I do not use CLO as it is lower in Omega 3s than FBO and contains fat soluble vitamins A and D which, in excess are toxic.

I do not use salmon oil as it generally comes in bottle, and because I am always travelling I prefer things which come in capsules.

I do not use Yumega or Yumega plus because it contains flax seed oil and the body has to work very hard to convert the ALA into DHA/EPA and some dogs cannot do it. The Starflower oil (Borage) is high in GLA, good for coat.

EPO contains GLA which is good for the coat, I used to use it when I had an entire bitch.

I give my dogs Fish Body Oils as they are anti inflammatory, good for the heart, brain and eyes. I have given FBO since I cannot remember when so cannot comment on any difference. There high levels of Omega 3 in particular the DHA/EPA is I believe particularly useful in dogs.

I use the Healthspan Opti-Omega 3 (TG)® 1000mg as it

is the purest, most bioavailable (body-ready) form of omega 3 essential fatty acids available. The letters TG stand for ‘triglyceride’ and this form of omega 3 is particularly high in DHA. In Scandinavian countries where fish oil supplementation is extremely advanced, the highest quality and most expensive products are invariably in this form.

Our oil is double-distilled using our patented filter-pure technology - this removes saturated fats, cholesterol and pollutants, such as heavy metals, dioxins and PCBs to a level lower than that found in fresh fish. Opti-Omega 3 is also odour-neutralised to reduce reflux.

Ideally, our intake of omega 3 should come from a balanced diet which includes plenty of oily fish, yet only one third of the population eat it on a regular basis, with many eating none at all. Supplements can play a role in boosting your levels of these essential fatty acids.

One 1,000mg capsule provides 600mg total omega 3, including 276mg DHA and 220mg EPA.

They come in light proof boxes (sunlight oxidises FBO) and travel friendly and good value for money IMHO

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/omega-3/...6693-c151.aspx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I do things cheaply, I give them sunflower oil!

It seems to be working for their coats, Flynn has a right shine to his normally temperamental coat.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2012, 06:51 PM
i use raw eggs. all 4 get one every couple of days.in there food,as a treat,and even the odd one that hits the floor!cheap,if you got hen.i have a friend who raises chickens for my dogs ,they get the eggs as well.they love them
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2012, 06:55 PM
I give Pereg Omega 3 Fish Body Oil softgels - the same ones that I take myself.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Omega...Softgels/18104
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:41 PM
I have used Fish Body Oils and plan to again. I have used Healthspan for Vetvits and myself and their service and packaging were excellent so can recommend them as a company. I get Whisper's Green Lipped Mussel from them.

At the moment Whisper is on Evening Primrose Oil (from Dorwest Herbs) as she is prone to dandruff and her coat isn't what it should be as she was shaved by her previous owner.

I have used the Vetvits capsule but decided to go for plain EPO this time.
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2012, 02:55 PM
I use fish4dogs salmon oil....they have an offer on at the moment, buyone get second half price. I buy the 3 litre boxes so this is a great deal for me. Years ago when I first started investigating the omega oils I realised that a lot of the omega delivering fish oils available were cheapened with vegetable oils so I now know why one bottle is more expensive or cheaper than the other,,,,just look at the ingredients closely!
Bevm
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Use naf omega oil which i get from horse feed shops in 2 ltr containers as is very economical and lasts ages .Works well for my wolfhound.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 08:09 AM
thanks for the replies guys
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2012, 08:56 AM
My vets last night recommended cod liver oil (dog version only) for Zeke (just joints) over all the others you have listed. certainly no toxic ingredients as she is wary what she recommends for him due to his cancer. I've got some on order )
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >