Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:34 AM

why?

Took my boys to a dog show yesterday.It was held in conjunction with an agricultural show.The weather was scorching and the general show ground was heaving...
My question is ....why oh why do people then insist on bringing out the poor old family dog that had obviously hardly seen a lead in the last 12 months!! I saw dogs with huge matted dirty coats struggling to walk(or be dragged more like) round the grounds , dogs with claws that were that long they caused their feet to tip backwards etc etc.My boys were transported there,walked to the ringside(which was away from the general melee of the show) and sheltered under trees till they went in......would I have dragged them round the ground...NO.The only part of the show they saw was the bit walking to and from the dog show.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:35 AM
I dont get that either.. Poor dogs
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:48 AM
It's dreadful - poor doggies can't cope...just been out and saw a gent briskly walking with his irish red setter who wasn't coping at all, gasping for breath and salavating at the tongue - the gent didn't even have a travel water bottle with him

Not impressed at all
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm not taking mine out in this heat during the day and they don't mind either, they are so hot they are just laying on the shaded patio chewing on ice! I'd rather them miss a walk or two than to drag them about and give them heat stroke.

But Archer it is annoying isn't it, that these arn't even people who seem to regulary take there dogs out anyway, probably haven't had a walk all winter long...so why the heck do they find it neccissary to drag them out on the hottest day of the year so far?
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Its just too hot for dogs im walking mine early in the morning and late at night, its just too humid!

i dont get it either archer, its not fair on the dogs
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I don't know why people insist on doing this. We don't have scorching long summers any more, so I just don't walk my dogs in this weather - it does them no harm.

I went down to the supermarket yesterday around midday - it's literally at the end of our road, yet in that brief time I saw five dogs being road-walked during the hottest part of the day, one an overweight lab. I don't care how fit a dog is, out of choice no dog would exercise like that in the heat.

Becs
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 01:31 PM
I never walk a dog in scorching sun because its cruel to them.They cannot cope with heat like us humans and i prefer to wait until late evening or even nightime when its cooler for walkies.
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-06-2005, 01:38 PM
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to keep dogs.
It's the same with the owners who keep their dogs in a parked car for god knows how long
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 01:47 PM
the door has knocked 4 times today by friends that have there dogs asking do i want to walk mine out with them. i just look at them and say NO!! there dog is lying on the floor pannting there heads off refusing to move as its shaddy out side my door

some ppl just dont think
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-06-2005, 02:00 PM
i hate seein people out in the scorching sun, especially when they have no water with them!
i'll be walking the dogs tonight at about 8pm when the sun goes in.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >