Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Bladder control and the older dog

Tia is around 14 years old and has started peeing anywhere and everywhere she wants .
She has really been showing signs of old age lately its hard to watch ..
Lesley J
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I know my girl went incontinent after she was spayed, and was put on propalin syrup, but recently i've seen a product from CSJ dog food that is for dogs with bladder problems? I'm thinking of giving it a go? as its all herbal, have a look at the web site and see what you think or take her to the vets to have a check up?
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I think she forgets to go out to pee ..I have been doing the old house training tricks to try to get her back in the habit ..
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I would pop a urine sample into your vets for them to check, just to make sure she doesn't have an infection.
If thats clear then propalin is excellent at stopping incontinence.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Cassie is on the Propalin syryp as she has some incontinence problems after having Pancreatitis last year. It works well
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-07-2010, 06:26 PM
I could be wrong but i don't think its incontinence I think its more a mental deterioration problem ..
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I could be wrong but i don't think its incontinence I think its more a mental deterioration problem ..
This can happen when a dog becomes old - just as mental deterioration due to old age can affect humans. As others have said, it would be best to have checked over for physical/mental problems and your vet should be able to advise on strategies to cope with problems due to senility, if that is what turns out to be the problem. It is very hard to see a much loved dog grow old and deteriorate, but hopefully something can be done to help, once a diagnosis has been made. Good luck.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:15 AM
If it does turn out to be dementia (& most vets will want to rule out everything else first, then dementia is the diagnosis of last resort), I may be able to help a bit. I've done some training on cognitive dysfunction syndrome in both cats & dogs & there's quite a lot you can do to help pets with this distressing condition.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Tia is around 14 years old and has started peeing anywhere and everywhere she wants .
She has really been showing signs of old age lately its hard to watch ..
This broke my heart with my old boy, he was clean to the point of obsession and to watch him fall apart in his last year where he could not even sleep on his bed without weeing himself i really struggled to watch it.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Vivitonin helps with older dogs and mental abilities.

She might have cystitis---worth checking.

rune