Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 07:53 AM

I have a quandry - fledgling blackbirds

Got home from our walk, took the dogs out into the garden for a dip in the pool and a play, and lo and behold I've got 4 fledgling blackbirds dotted about the garden, one sitting at the bottom of the birdbath, and one would you believe, sitting right on the doorstep out into the garden

Brought the dogs back in of course, and at one point Zena was only a foot away from the one on the birdbath but she didn't notice it!

They're making a heck of a racket, but mum isn't doing much and the trouble is I've got the lawn man coming to mow the lawn, sooooo I don't know whether to put them all safely away under the hedge before I go out, or what to do with them! I'm sure the lawnman won't notice the ones tucked away by the fence, but I'm worrying about picking them up, mum might not like it ya see!

Could leave a note for the lawn mowing man I suppose, but then I can't keep the dogs shut in all blooming day until mum sorts them out, although Georgie won't touch them, I'm not so sure about Zena, we haven't met fledglings yet!

Oh, and out on our walk this morning, there in the long grass was a young deer I stopped, the dogs stopped and the deer just stood there and stared at us only a few feet away I grabbed Zena's collar the deer ran off, but what a find hey!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2010, 11:51 AM
I had a baby blackbird in the garden a few weeks ago dad left him for so long and he was right near the back gate. I had to text Michael too say come in carefully I don't want it frightened or hurt. Dad eventually came for him and took him round the garden and found a way out.

I love too see the deer.

Hopefully if people start coming and going it might encourage mum or dad too move them it was probably very quite when they put them there.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:05 PM
We had a similar problem with the dogs last year, Cassie made a bee line for it as i hadnt seen it when i let them out. I had to pick him up and pop him over the fence to next door in the end (the house was vacant at the time so no dogs or cats) as it just wasnt safe in our garden. I could hear him the next few days and see mum feeding him so he was ok.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't want it out of the garden Lynn, coz it's much safer here, I don't get any cats nowadays (wonder why! ).

I've scoured the garden now, after it's been mown, and there's only one down at the front underneath those red robins, and it's sitting there on the sleepers calling out to mum but thankfully Zena ignored it! As I came inside, I've just seen the mum go to it, but where the other 3 are I don't know, although I did see one hopping underneath the hedge, but I hope she finds that one coz it's so deep my hedge and full of c*ap at the bottom, nettles and everything.

These blackbirds seem to love my garden, maybe it's coz I have that lawn mowed every week, and water it a lot (emptying the pool constantly that is!!) plus I've raised a few over the years and they never forget my live meal worms!

I just had to go back out there coz Zena was giving it a sniff so I raced out there, told her to leave it and she picked up her football!!! I think it's a thrush, coz it's got a very pale speckled breast?? Mum's doing her nut now, so I've come back in and will watch from the window with Zena safely away from it just in case
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-06-2010, 12:35 PM
They sound happy where they are I wasn't particularly worried about this one being in my garden but the dad removed it after a couple of hours.

I expect there are some nice juicy worms around.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:47 PM
awww your instinct is to help isn't it? But I would just leave them alone...glad Zena is being a gentle girl...I always thought she would be though.

We get loads of housemartins, blue tits and sparrows here. The only thing I have to watch is the bladdy cat a few doors down

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I know Elaine, it's been chirping one, two, three, every 5 minutes all afternoon, and when I went out there it was up on the patio just where Georgie lays, but as soon as the dogs went out there it then went down the garden, turned right, and it's now safely under the hedge,BUT, I'm worried about cats, although I had 4 like this the other year, do you remember, and the mother only looked after the 3 down in the front garden and I had to look after the one left behind round the side where the bird feeders are!! I managed to bring that one up myself with a few juicy mealworms every couple of hours, and that's probably why it's mum just left me to it!!!

No more chirping, and no sign of mum, but hopefully she knows where it is and it's having a little nap it must be exhausted! I know where I will be first thing in the morning xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Goodluck to the baby BBs xxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks Ness, it's gone very quiet down there I concocted a little "nest" consisting of a thick tin lid, put some old turf in it, and was going to stick it somewhere in the hedge, then I thought about somewhere else, and then I thought it's far better if I just leave it alone, but it's so hard I've dismantled my nest now
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 04:37 PM
I remember it well matey....just been sitting on the sofa looking out the window and there must have been about 7 sparrows messing about on the fences, and on the rose bushes so lovely watching mummy and daddy feeding the little ones!!!! awwww am going all broody!!!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >