Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Fibroids

Sorry not a very nice subject i know but was wondering if anyone on herehas had experience of these ?

I had an ultrasound scan yesterdaybecause i have been having problems with my periods being very heavy, bad back/abdominal pain and pains in the tops of my legs. My mum had them and so did my nan so i guess they are hereditary.

Anyway it turn out i have quite a large one. I have to make another appointment with my doc to discuss what to do i suppose.

Do they just remove them ? my nan had to have a hysterectomy because of them but i'm guessing they were a lot worse than mine.

Is removal a fairly minor op ?

Thanks
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I think it depends how big they are. I have similar sorts of pains & was tested for them but I haven't got them thank goodness. My mum in law had one the size of a grapefruit & had to have a hysterectomy. Hope you get it sorted xx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
My mum had them, she was in as a day case and said she never had any pain or problems afterwards, she had quite a few of them too.

If its anything similar I had a hysteroscopy (DNC) at the end of December last year as I had a largish cyst in my cervix. I had some bleeding for a week or so and a bit of cramp for a few days afterwards but I was also a day patient and just sailed through the actual op with no side effects or complications.

Fingers crossed for you xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I have (had) one.

Around 4 years ago I was bleeding very heavily and when I eventually went to see my Dr and had a blood test I had a blood count of 6 it should be around 12 or 13.

I was put on a drug called Norethestorone,(sp) which stopped the bleeding and had to take a heavy dose of iron tablets they wanted me in same day for a blood transfusion but I wouldn't go I had Ollie as a pup and I am a coward.

I have been going through my change since I was 40 and my Dr did give me some options besides the hysterectomy one was a balloon inserted with something very hot inside which would burn them or a hot wire thing but I had only recently had a similar thing done having abnormal cells removed due to a cervical smear fright. None of which really appealed.

I was on HRT and the Dr decided if we stopped the HRT it might help as they were keeping my periods going and that feeds the fibroids so if I came off it it might give them a chance to shrink and she also felt I was near the end of my change and I needed it too end, so that was the option I took, I have now missed 11 periods you have too miss 12 to officially be at the end of your change and the heavy bleeding stopped quite quickly I was given the Norethesterone (sp) to make sure if I started the heavy bleeding again I could get it under control on the promise I would go straight back to the Dr and we would have too look into the other options.

Luckily that never happened.

Have a chat to your Dr and see if they can offer other options if you feel you don't want too go through the hysterectomy, but if you do not mind the surgery then I would opt too take it, if mine had carried on I would of done. I couldn't of gone through that twice.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I had them and had a total hysterectomy in 1994. Best thing I ever did......

Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I had them and had a total hysterectomy in 1994. Best thing I ever did......

Hear hear - I never looked back after my hysterectomy, didnt realise how far down I had been dragged.

I had numerous fibroids the largest being the equivalent of a 28 week old feotus Ovaries were pitted and scarred with numerous cysts which had burst over the years - hence the pain which the doc had put down to my being "overweight". Erm - yes well you would look overweight if your fibroids were so big. I used to be so ashamed of my "big" tummy

Go back to your doc and discuss the options with him/her.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Well this is a subject close to my heart as I am now 18 days into recovery of a total hysterectomy. Reason fibroids.
My largest when removed was 53cm's the other large one 38cm's I had 11 removed, but unlike a lot of people I was Asymptomatic....ie I had adapted to the symptoms. Which I have to say I did not know like VelvetBoxer how far I had been dragged down. Now I am recovering yes I am tired but I feel full of energy in another way.
My diagnosis came 6th Feb when taken into hospital with a ruptured ovarian cyst...scanned and fibroids found.
One of the larger ones was pressing on my bladder so Iwas constantly at the loo., also one of the large ones was pressing on the nerve at the top of my right leg and it kept loosing feeling.....like going to sleep.

My consulatants descision was hysterectomy. Which I am as I say recovering from done on 21/4/10. Feel okay now getting there slowly But its a major Op but not one I am regretting even now.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Good for you, you sound as though youre doing really well. I had one wrapped round my bowel & like you had the complete job, you will only feel better & better as time goes on. People dont realise that the fibroids themselves bleed so i was never without towards the end. It'l take a well while to get back to 100% but i never regretted it. Life takes on a whole new meaning.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Well this is a subject close to my heart as I am now 18 days into recovery of a total hysterectomy. Reason fibroids.
My largest when removed was 53cm's the other large one 38cm's I had 11 removed, but unlike a lot of people I was Asymptomatic....ie I had adapted to the symptoms. Which I have to say I did not know like VelvetBoxer how far I had been dragged down. Now I am recovering yes I am tired but I feel full of energy in another way.
My diagnosis came 6th Feb when taken into hospital with a ruptured ovarian cyst...scanned and fibroids found.
One of the larger ones was pressing on my bladder so Iwas constantly at the loo., also one of the large ones was pressing on the nerve at the top of my right leg and it kept loosing feeling.....like going to sleep.

My consulatants descision was hysterectomy. Which I am as I say recovering from done on 21/4/10. Feel okay now getting there slowly But its a major Op but not one I am regretting even now.

OMG poor you, i hope you are feeling better. Mine are not as severe as yours, i expect they will just remove them. Thanks for giving your advice and i know what you mean about wanting to wee all the time
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Hear hear - I never looked back after my hysterectomy, didnt realise how far down I had been dragged.

I had numerous fibroids the largest being the equivalent of a 28 week old feotus Ovaries were pitted and scarred with numerous cysts which had burst over the years - hence the pain which the doc had put down to my being "overweight". Erm - yes well you would look overweight if your fibroids were so big. I used to be so ashamed of my "big" tummy

Go back to your doc and discuss the options with him/her.
Flipping heck, you must have had quite bad symptoms then. You are right about the tummy thing, mine is loated, i just thought i'd put weight on as i wasn't aware this was a symptom tbh. Glad you are ok now