Our sister sites
Our sister sites
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2010, 08:20 PM

Diarrhoea

hi friends

as some of you may know i have 2..14 week old puppys...now george has diarhhea...and after he finishes there is some slight bloody mucus...he is well in all other aspects...eating well playing well etc...the only thing i have changes is cut back on the tinned pedigree chum wit his dry meal..but not a lot...his brother is ok,,

my son in law as been giving them pedigree chum marlkies puppy treats..and when i read the packet its not for pups under 4 months..now i am not in favour of giving treats too often..and had a word with my son i law,

could it be all the twigs. bits of wood and conifers he is chewing although i stop this when i see it...is last poo was a little better and no bloody mucus..as i said he is very well otherwise...thanx for reading xxxxxxx
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Hi there, and I am glad that the poops are improving so that along with the general well being of the pup is a very good sign that there is nothing dramatic to worry about.

Others may disagree here, but Pedigree Chum is very rich so to add the Pedigree treats (which you have already discovered are for older puppies) may have been too much for the system.

What you describle can sometimes happen when changing too quickly to a different food, so perhaps the extra treats were to blame.
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2010, 08:33 PM
thanx bitkin...it was seeing the bit of blood that woried, but he is very well apart from this...and i have stopped the treats..thanx for your reply xxxxxxxxxx
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2010, 08:49 PM
could be the twigs etc.... take a look at the poops (lousy job but someone's gotta do it.. ) if you actually see the twigs, bark etc... that explains the blood.... same effect if the diarrhea is really severe as in with a lot of force behind it... this can rupture some small capillaries leaving small traces of blood... so for now, unless there really is a lot of blood, I would take that as a side effect and concentrate on the cause of the diarrhea...

I could be the bark and twigs... google toxic plants for dogs and see if its possible he's eaten one of these....if not... it probably has to do with his diet... although pedegree is somewhat ok for adult healthy dogs, it is very rich (with a high salt content) for pups (I weaned Tess off it asap when I got her on my vet's advice).... adding pedegree treats only adds to the effect.... if you do want to keep feeding pedegree I would suggest getting very natural treats such as dried chicken strips or something like that.....

I do hope for your sake it's diet related and not a virus..... one pup with real diarrhea is tough enough... two pups with it.....???? Good luck!!!!!
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Bloody diarrhea is a huge red flag. It may only be worms, but forget the food and get to the vet's.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Bloody diarrhea is a huge red flag. It may only be worms, but forget the food and get to the vet's.
Not necessarily Labman - yes if it continued or became worse, but in this case it has cleared up quickly.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I would have to agree with Labman, 14week old pups can go down hill very quickly..and even though diarrhea can be normal when changing food ect, blood isnt..
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2010, 09:26 PM
um, read the post... the diarrhea is not itself bloody... there is some slight blood in the finishing mucus.... in my opinion, monitor closely... if there is severely black and bright red poop... go to the vet (this means there is an ongoing bleed), if it's only spotting it's a result of a burst minor capillary artery....
michele44
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2010, 09:57 PM
thanx for your replies...not worms!!! been wormed....i think it is caplilary...and will keep a close eye on him..he is otherwise very well...i havedug through his poop and there is bits of all sorts from the garden lol... nothing poisionous....xxxxxxxxxx
cintvelt
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by michele44 View Post
thanx for your replies...not worms!!! been wormed....i think it is caplilary...and will keep a close eye on him..he is otherwise very well...i havedug through his poop and there is bits of all sorts from the garden lol... nothing poisionous....xxxxxxxxxx
don't you just love the "digging though" bit
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >