Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:14 PM

PAT question...

I was wondering, from those who have had a PAT dog assessment, what happens during it? I want jake to do it, but want to make sure he is ready lol. I heard, or read (cant remember lol) that the dogs need to walk well with just a collar and lead, and not pull. This bit worries me, coz although jake doesnt exactly pull, he does have the lead at its fullest length with no slackness but I can easily have my arm down by my side. So he isnt really pulling... If that makes any sense lol.

So, who knows what all is required?
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:20 PM
I think they also have to be 18 mnths, and be able to have their ears and tails messed about with, and wait nicely if you stop. I'm not sure though, they are just things that I have picked up on.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Heres a link to another dogsey thread about it

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=63957

And another link about it

http://www.petsastherapy.org/Visiting/HowtoJoin.htm

The person carrying out the assessment will check that your dog is sociable and friendly without being over-boisterous. Your dog should be calm and gentle when being groomed or stroked, without mouthing you or the grooming equipment. The examiner will also want to see how your dog reacts to a sudden noise – such as a walking stick falling to the floor. It is normal for a dog to back away, but is he confident enough to approach again readily if asked to do so?
From second link.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:25 PM
They do assess how the dog walks on the lead, so maybe you could work on jakes heal work. But its not a case of passing or failing on one thing so as long as he's not dragging you over it wouldnt go against you. During Tilly's assessment, we had to show that she was happy to be handled by a stranger. She was handled and fed treats by the assessor. The assessor felt her all over, tail, feet etc. She looked at her teeth, in ears, eyes. Then i had to show she was happy being groomed. They make a loud sudden noise to see the dogs reaction. And you also have to show that the dog is ok if you have to grab their collar suddenly. As I said, they wouldnt just fail them if one of these things didnt go well. The form gives them lots of options so it not just a yes or no answer. Would be a good idea to go on the PAT website where you can download a very comprehensive pack that will tell you all you need to know. And maybe request an application pack as this will show you all thats being looked at. Dont worry if your not ready to apply yet. I'd had my pack nearly a year before i applied. Hope all this helps and good luck if you decide to go for it!
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-03-2010, 04:25 PM
It's a few years since Cali had hers but another thing they will check is the reaction the dog has to something being dropped unexpectidly, with Cali's it was a bunch of keys, she didn't bat an eye. Another thing they do is see how the dog takes a treat, as they shouldn't snatch. Cali didn't even take the treat at all
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Dale was assessed a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of PAH They want to see how a dog behaves in a busy place.
We had to walk up and down an aisle, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. She said they really wanted to be sure you could control the dog on lead in a strange place, not like formal heel work. She made a fuss of him, gave him a treat, chatted to me while Dale had to wait without being a pest, and she dropped the walking stick so casually that I wasn't sure if it was an accident or part of the assessment. I only had to give him a quick brush and he was quite excited. I think he wondered why on earth I was brushing him in the middle of a shop.
I was surprised at how generous she was when I saw what she'd written. Its really not as bad as it sounds when you read about it.
Now I just have to worry about them approving me.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Dale was assessed a couple of weeks ago, in the middle of PAH They want to see how a dog behaves in a busy place.
We had to walk up and down an aisle, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. She said they really wanted to be sure you could control the dog on lead in a strange place, not like formal heel work. She made a fuss of him, gave him a treat, chatted to me while Dale had to wait without being a pest, and she dropped the walking stick so casually that I wasn't sure if it was an accident or part of the assessment. I only had to give him a quick brush and he was quite excited. I think he wondered why on earth I was brushing him in the middle of a shop.
I was surprised at how generous she was when I saw what she'd written. Its really not as bad as it sounds when you read about it.
We had our assessment a couple of weeks ago as well and waiting to see if we're approved. The assessors are really nice though and at the end of the day, they want to be able to pass dogs. Keep me up to date with your progress. Be nice to know someone thats going through the same thing!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I think they also have to be 18 mnths, and be able to have their ears and tails messed about with, and wait nicely if you stop. I'm not sure though, they are just things that I have picked up on.
thanks, im not sure on the age, im sure when I checked at the end of the summer it was 18 months, but I checked the other day and it said it was 9 months.

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Heres a link to another dogsey thread about it

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=63957

And another link about it

http://www.petsastherapy.org/Visiting/HowtoJoin.htm

From second link.
Thanks for the links, they were interesting to read. It says on the second one that they have to be over 9 months so jake is old enough now

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
They do assess how the dog walks on the lead, so maybe you could work on jakes heal work. But its not a case of passing or failing on one thing so as long as he's not dragging you over it wouldnt go against you. During Tilly's assessment, we had to show that she was happy to be handled by a stranger. She was handled and fed treats by the assessor. The assessor felt her all over, tail, feet etc. She looked at her teeth, in ears, eyes. Then i had to show she was happy being groomed. They make a loud sudden noise to see the dogs reaction. And you also have to show that the dog is ok if you have to grab their collar suddenly. As I said, they wouldnt just fail them if one of these things didnt go well. The form gives them lots of options so it not just a yes or no answer. Would be a good idea to go on the PAT website where you can download a very comprehensive pack that will tell you all you need to know. And maybe request an application pack as this will show you all thats being looked at. Dont worry if your not ready to apply yet. I'd had my pack nearly a year before i applied. Hope all this helps and good luck if you decide to go for it!
thanks, will work on his lead walking. Did some today, and he was doing ok lol. I have asked some people at work if they will do a run through assessment thing (coz jake doesn’t know them) so I can see parts that I need to work on I want to be as prepared as possible lol. the noise thing though, I think he will be fine with. he is used to a noisy house, and things like that don’t bother him so he wont bat an eye I just applied for my pack
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Originally Posted by basi View Post
It's a few years since Cali had hers but another thing they will check is the reaction the dog has to something being dropped unexpectidly, with Cali's it was a bunch of keys, she didn't bat an eye. Another thing they do is see how the dog takes a treat, as they shouldn't snatch. Cali didn't even take the treat at all
thanks, had to laugh at Cali not taking the treat jake is really good with taking treats, even when he is all excited if you tell him ‘gently’ he will take the treat in slow motion

Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
Oh I would find that so embarrassing looking forward to hearing about how dale and tilly both get on. do you know how long it takes to find out? I hope when jake does it, it all goes smoothly im sure he will be great, and it will be me being nervous that will muck it up!

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
We had our assessment a couple of weeks ago as well and waiting to see if we're approved. The assessors are really nice though and at the end of the day, they want to be able to pass dogs. Keep me up to date with your progress. Be nice to know someone thats going through the same thing!!
where did you have your assessment done? was yours somewhere like PAH?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 12:01 PM
We had it outside a beach front cafe. They tend to pick public places but each assessor has their own place of choice.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »