Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Extrended Warranties.....

Does anyone have one of these for their car?

My car has just gone in for a service and there's a whole lot of stuff that needs doing to it (front bushes, rear pads and discs, rear suspension leak, something about front brakes blah, blah, blah....). Now thankfully my car is not quite 3 years old and still under warranty, so most of the list is covered, but I can't help thinking what I would've done had it not been!

I know there are some warranty companies out there where you pay about £25 a month and the car is covered for certain malfunctions as it were. The question is, how good are they?

So anyone have one and is it anygood?
fluffymummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Was it a regular service? My OH has an extended warranty for his car and his regular service is not covered. I know electrics are not covered as his traction control went last summer and they would not cover that. He's got a VW and got covered through them but with another company.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 04:17 PM
I think it depends on what it covers you for, as if it doesnt cover for general wear and tear then its possibly not worth it as brakes etc would come under that, unless its a general fault with the manufacturers.

I would look into it very closely for what it covers and then ask your dealer to give you a costs for those things were they to go wrong and work out if its then worthwhile.

Also could be wrong but if the things that have gone wrong now and replaced and corrected then those individually will be covered under manufacturer warranty for at least another year so if they were to go wrong again should be repaired Free of charge.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by fluffymummy View Post
Was it a regular service? My OH has an extended warranty for his car and his regular service is not covered. I know electrics are not covered as his traction control went last summer and they would not cover that. He's got a VW and got covered through them but with another company.
Yes, the car is just coming upto 3 years old in June and has gone in for it's 36,000 mile service. Unfortunately Suzuki like to make you have your car serviced every 9,000 miles which for me is about every 6-7 months.

The stuff that needs doing is just general wear and tear by the sounds of it which has been found whilst doing the service, at least it'll go through it's MOT now I suppose!

I think Suzuki do an extended warranty, but I can't find any details on it anywhere!
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
I think it depends on what it covers you for, as if it doesnt cover for general wear and tear then its possibly not worth it as brakes etc would come under that, unless its a general fault with the manufacturers.

I would look into it very closely for what it covers and then ask your dealer to give you a costs for those things were they to go wrong and work out if its then worthwhile.

Also could be wrong but if the things that have gone wrong now and replaced and corrected then those individually will be covered under manufacturer warranty for at least another year so if they were to go wrong again should be repaired Free of charge.
Ooh that is interesting to know, thanks.

This is it isn't it? If it doesn't cover wear and tear there's little point as I think most of the stuff wouldn't be covered (especially the brakes). That said, the guy at Sims siad most of it is covered under the current warranty? Surely wear and tear stuff wouldn't be covered this time either?

Thanks guys.