Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 01:17 AM

Couple facing jail over dogs starvation

Couple facing jail over dogs’ starvation

A couple admitted starving their eight dogs after an RSPCA swoop led to the discovery of the skeletal pets in their garden.

Stephen and Helen Wain, aged 34 and 31, of Walsall, were told they could face jail for keeping the animals in filthy conditions where the only drink they had was an old saucepan which had filled with rainwater.

After the hearing, Mr Wain told the Express & Star he was disgusted by the RSCPA’s actions and insisted that he and his wife loved animals.

Nick Sutton, prosecuting for the RSPCA, told Walsall magistrates that the couple, had a Jack Russell terrier, two German shepherds and five puppies.

An inspector visited the property on June 16 last year following a tip-off.

“The conditions were generally dirty and squalid,” Mr Sutton said.

“The puppies were very subdued and lethargic.

“The garden was very dirty and completely covered in rubbish and debris, with empty tin cans and broken bottles.”

The terrier was so hungry he was trying to eat plastic, he added.

The couple, of Valley Road, Bloxwich, admitted three counts of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal and one count of failure to provide an adequate environment.

Nayan Patel, defending, said the couple, who had six children under 12, were in the process of redecorating when the inspectors came io the house. He said the officer came back a few days later and the garden area was in a better state.

Magistrate John Palmer told the Wains they could face jail.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Wain said: “I’m disgusted by the RSPCA. I love animals, there was no need to do all this.

“I have had dogs all my life. Alsatians don’t hold their weight. I bought food for them every day, they were always fed.

“They were thin, but the RSPCA have had them six months and have had difficulty putting weight on. I should have taken them to the vet earlier, but that’s it.”

The couple will be sentenced on January 18.

http://www.expressandstar.com/2010/0...99-starvation/

Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 07:41 AM
I bet they don't get sent to jail
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm glad he warned them, let them fret a bit. Then I hope he carries it out. I see the RSPCA have had the dogs six months - are they going to rehome them?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 11:04 AM
The won't both go to jail because they have 6 under 12 offspring, I bet they get a slap on the wrist & a short ban. the man doesn't even know the right name of the breed Alsatians indeed

Max-a-million!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2010, 01:19 PM
These people are absolute scum. Hope they rot in hell!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I'm glad he warned them, let them fret a bit. Then I hope he carries it out. I see the RSPCA have had the dogs six months - are they going to rehome them?
I think (though I don't know for certain) that in some cases they can't rehome the dogs until after a trial...perhaps it has to do with whether the owners are prepared to sign over the dogs or not...if they are not prepard to do so, presumably the RSPCA have to prove cruelty in order to be awarded the dogs through the courts.

Hopefully the dogs can now be found homes that really do love them.
GUISEPPE
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-01-2010, 01:26 PM
Really ?
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/136
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by GUISEPPE View Post
Really ?
GSDs were called `Alsations` (from Alsace) in the UK during the war with Germany. A few of the older generation still use the term, and it can also be used to describe a type - sometimes in a derogatory sense.
These days everyone I know calls them by their correct name - GSD.

Does anyone know if these dogs have survived even?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by GUISEPPE View Post
Really ?
The breed is a German Shepherd Dog or more precisely Deutsche Schaferhund, they have never been a "French"breed(Alsace Lorraine has been in France from 1919 to 1940 & continually since 1945 to date)therefore to call them Alsatians(ie from Alsace Lorraine)is totally incorrect.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Does anyone know if these dogs have survived even?
lets hope they are you never know with the RSPCA
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >