Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 01:42 PM

Wanted - old dog collars/leads

If anybody has any old dog collars or leads they are going to throw away, please can I have them?
I'm going to have a go at making my own in fabric covered webbing, so it's the rings,adjusting sliders chains & fasteners I need to cut off them.
I want to make a replacement half check chain collar for Tilly, and although you can buy the chain with a ring each end, I can't find anywhere that does a chain with a ring each end & one in the middle too and as they need to be welded links - I don't think I could manage making my own!. I think you can get fabric half check collars but haven't seen any, to see how they are made.
(Will pay for postage)
Thanks
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
If anybody has any old dog collars or leads they are going to throw away, please can I have them?
I'm going to have a go at making my own in fabric covered webbing, so it's the rings,adjusting sliders chains & fasteners I need to cut off them.
I want to make a replacement half check chain collar for Tilly, and although you can buy the chain with a ring each end, I can't find anywhere that does a chain with a ring each end & one in the middle too and as they need to be welded links - I don't think I could manage making my own!. I think you can get fabric half check collars but haven't seen any, to see how they are made.
(Will pay for postage)
Thanks

Hi, look on the web for martingale collars, they are fabric half checks. It will give you an idea of what you are after.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Hi, look on the web for martingale collars, they are fabric half checks. It will give you an idea of what you are after.
Thanks will have a look.
Have since had hub splitting & soldering metal rings - he has tools for everything! so I may be able to do the chain bit myself with him as my welder!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I will have a look and see what I have when I go up to dougies,
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I will have a look and see what I have when I go up to dougies,
ooh thanks xx of course I'll be needing some guinea pigs (well dogs really!!) to test out my prototypes - of course I have Tilly who has agreed to test for "pullability strength"
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 09:53 PM
are you making a range of diff sizes and shapes?

I should have a few puppy collars / cat collars with fittings laying around in the puppy box as well, or are you after more big dog fittings?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
are you making a range of diff sizes and shapes?

I should have a few puppy collars / cat collars with fittings laying around in the puppy box as well, or are you after more big dog fittings?

more medium sized dogs really to start, the leads & collars will be 1 inch wide as that is the size webbing I've got. I got the webbing to make the fastener for the dog coat I made & it came on a 10 metre roll which is why I thought - I know lets have a go at making collars & leads another of my bright ideas
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2009, 10:03 PM
cool, will have a good rake for ya see what I can find