Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 03:57 PM

Sainsburys Insurance

We've just got Lola insured with Sainsburys. Very good cover and a lot cheaper than some others we had been quoted!!

Plus if any of you have those nectar cards (I don't) they give you double points on it for 2yrs if you take the insurance out online.

We are paying £10.10 per month for Lola - the second cheapest quote we had was from Pet plan and was £19.42 per month! The worst was Halifax - £30.93 per month!!!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 04:11 PM
thats a really good quote, halifax are a bit OTT with there prices are they not?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Is it proper lifetime cover?
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Was that for vets fees up to £3,000 or £10,000? Were just getting Rolo's sorted.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:16 PM
I have got Shady with Sainsburys and I wish I had put her with M&S the same as Milo was. Sainsburys on the 3 times I have claimed have each time delayed paying by sending the claim form back asking the vet to send in a sperate sheet with all Shady's medical history (surely they only need it once) .
Also they question everything and if your dog dies and you are paying monthly you have to continue paying the premium for the rest of the year .
When I lost Milo M&S cancelled my payments immeadietly and always paid without question any claim and most of them were quite hefty around or just over the £1000 mark. They also sent me a lovely letter and said even though I had no recieptfor him they would still refund me my purchase price.
I really hope you find them better than I have as I wouldn't use them again. When Shadys runs out she is going over to M&S and Kyiro will go with M&S too.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2009, 07:17 PM
They are very good...till the dog gets old. Then it trebles
Tancredreynolds
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I think a lot of the insurance compainies are very much the same quick to take your money but not so quick to pay out. It was fine when Harvey was younger he was insured with Sainsburys for some years but instead of going up a couple pounds a year it doubled, then he was with Argos for a few years and that trebled, saying this was because of his age and our postcode, the cheapest one I found in the end was online with Tesco £22 a month, (half the price of the other quotes for £2,500) and thank god I had this because not long after for the first time Harvey became ill and sadly died, the vet bill came to £4,440. The Royal veterinery hospital made a direct claim to Tesco for there payment and have still not been paid out, so i'm now constantly receiving letters from them asking me to settle this payment immediately. I don't begrudge one penny of this for Harvey and would do it all over again, we would of given everything we own to try and make him better. Surely the reason for having dog insurance is so we don't receive unexpected huge bills like this.
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have got Shady with Sainsburys and I wish I had put her with M&S the same as Milo was. Sainsburys on the 3 times I have claimed have each time delayed paying by sending the claim form back asking the vet to send in a sperate sheet with all Shady's medical history (surely they only need it once) .
Also they question everything and if your dog dies and you are paying monthly you have to continue paying the premium for the rest of the year .
Jack was insured with Sainsburys and when he died, I wrote asking if I would have to continue paying for the rest of the year. They wrote back and agreed to cancel the remainder of the policy and said I didn't have to carry on paying. Must have got them on a good day.

They did take ages to pay out each month we claimed for his heart tablets. They would say that they had not received the form, I'd get the vets to fax a copy over, they'd pay out but then a week or so later, when either the copy had been actioned or the original found, would send me a snotty letter saying that they had already paid out for that month and couldn't pay me twice. Couldn't be bothered ringing them, to inform them it was because they were rubbish at locating original forms that they were sent a copy.

Lady and Robbie are insured with M&S now, and they were great when Lady broke a tooth at the root and needed a GA to take it out and stitch her gum.
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I think i will go with M & S having seen the reviews the premium insurance which covers £7,000 in vets fee's anually is £13.27 a month which i think is a good rate. It also includes lifetime cover.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:31 AM
Had a look at the Sainsburys policy document...
2 things hit me, first you HAVE to have your dogs vaccinated or you are not covered (I want the option) and second, it isn't 'proper' lifetime cover. The policy lets you have £7,500 per condition...that actually isn't a lot over a pets lifetime. Example, if a dog gets knocked over and breaks it's hip, you would be paying out a fortune just on fixing that, if it then develops arthritis in it's hips (say at age 2) tat amount of money would soon be eaten up. A real lifetime policy would cover £7,5oo per condition PER year...not for the duration of the condition.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >