Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John Bull
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Savile Row

Are dog coats really a benefit or just the peculiar fashion fetish of the owner ?

I have always been told that dogs are quite capable of withstanding cold and rain. Also that some breeds like the GS have two coats - one outer and one inner, whereby the wet does not penetrate.

Then you get the "water" dogs - the smimmers, like the Labrador, Newfoundland and so on, who love the water.

Being old fashioned, I do not believe that laying around in wet clothes (fur coat) does anybody any good - causes Arthritis, Rheumatism and other health threats.
I always dry my dog when it gets wet.

So, do you dress Bonzo up in a trendy red coat with diamante trimmings to give the other dogs a giggle ?
John Bull
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Are dog coats really a benefit or just the peculiar fashion fetish of the owner ?

I have always been told that dogs are quite capable of withstanding cold and rain. Also that some breeds like the GS have two coats - one outer and one inner, whereby the wet does not penetrate.

Then you get the "water" dogs - the smimmers, like the Labrador, Newfoundland and so on, who love the water.

Being old fashioned, I do not believe that laying around in wet clothes (fur coat) does anybody any good - causes Arthritis, Rheumatism and other health threats.
I always dry my dog when it gets wet.

So, do you dress Bonzo up in a trendy red coat with diamante trimmings to give the other dogs a giggle ?
John Bull
No, my dogs are dressed in their water repellent coats on days like today, wet/ windy/ cold.

My dogs are short coated thin skinned dogs, one of which has arthritic hips and Spondylosis of the spine.

So if other dogs wish to giggle at them , thats OK, they are big enough to take it.

On the other hand, small toy dogs being dressed in an outfit a day for fashion, i agree with you on that... they are dogs not dolls, and as such should be treated correctly.

Again in saying that, if they are short coated , no harm in a little extra cover on cold wet days!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2009, 11:33 AM
My dogs have waterproof skin and are short coated with a fine coat and they get soaked on days like today but it doesn't bother them. They have a thick fleece covered waterproof bed in the boot and once they get home they lie in front of the fire and are dry in no time. I do think coats are useful for the elderly and the infirm though and no my lot don't take the p*$$.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Well i have a GSD, normally she does not wear a coat- apart from when its really torrential rain and then she just wears a waterproof rain coat.
But, as i compete in agility, in the winter when she is in the car she wears a thick coat and i then change to a fleece on her as we warm up and then queue up- so as to keep her muscles warm.
I do feel this is necessary as cars can get cold when parked up at a comp in winter
Also in the summer she wears a cool coat to ensure she stays cool.
I will do the same for my BC when she starts competing.

I hate to see dogs in coats for no reason other than 'fashion'
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 11:42 AM
I initially thought there's no need for dog coats. My dog loves to get wet but & we go out in all weathers but her thickish fur takes ages to dry & I wondered if it could give her a chill or I am overacting! In fact she's still a bit damp from this morning (it's chucking it down today) I'm going to make her a waterproof coatanyway - (in fact you've reminded me, I might make a start on today
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I have coats for my little ones as Scratch is old, but it did make me giggle when you wrote "trendy red coat with diamante trimmings" as I think Scratch would bite me, he is not a fan of them unless he is cold but unfortunately they are dark green and blue and water proof.
Louis is a cold dog and would love the diamante one but he is not getting it the little attention seeker.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 11:58 AM
I don`t like seeing dogs dressed up as fashion statements. However, horses and dogs can benefit from extra protection from the elements occasionally - particularly if old, arthritic or clipped.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 12:07 PM
i used to try and put a coat on my old lurcher kinda didnt work he would go swimming in the bloomin thing!! then shiver n shake after anyway!
it takes alot for water to get to the skin on a sibe n csv,am tempted to put a waterproof on my collie tho,just to save my walls and towels when we get back in!.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Mine don't normally wear coats but after swimming thy have terry toweling coats which they wear for the car journey home. They often have to sit & wait in the car for a wwhile before we set off home & its cold. Also it helps to continue the drying process as towelling them off when they come out of the water does not get them fully dry. Then when I get home they are not as wet on my furniture & carpets. Do find when they are out in the heavy rain like this morning they don't get as wet as swimming. A quick towelling is all they need.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't think I'd put Dougal in a coat just now, he's young enough to handle the cold (although he doesn't think so), when he gets older I might consider it for his own sake.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »