Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2009, 10:05 PM

oops! did i say the wrong thing?

so the first dog we meet on our walk tonight was introduced as a 'goldendoodle'. (bear with me, i don't have a clue what that is either) within 15 minutes we then had a 'cockerpoo' (sounds like a nasty illlness to me) and then a 'labradoodle'. (something a child would draw maybe?) anyway, once surrounded by these (lovely dogs) and the introductions flowing freely, i opened my big mouth and said, 'what ever happened to the good old crossbreed?'

the tumbleweeds rolled across the field. i got my coat and left.

sorry, but although these people had absolutely gorgeous dogs, they closed ranks once i mentioned the dreaded 'crossbreed' word.

fortunately, further on our walk we met a simple adorable poodle x border terrier. he was introduced that way and whilst he looked just like a min poodle, he behaved like a terrier. lily was in heaven and i made a new friend.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2009, 11:30 PM
lol, sounds fun

i hate when people put stupid names to crossbreeds. my jake is a BC x GSD and will never get a daft name given to his breed lol, he is a crossbreed not a pretend purebreed! lol
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Well said hun a cross is a cross is a cross
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 04:04 AM
lol love it. Now with all the new breed names soon they will be labpoomalttzu, lol
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 06:49 AM
I loved the 'I'll get my coat bit'.

I guess I don't mind if people use the combination of names to explain what the dog is - after all, labradoodle is quicker and easier to say than 'labrador cross poodle'.

The drawback is that once a cross has an 'official' name, for some reason people tend to think its a real breed. And the mixing of breeds just to come up with a 'cute' name is the worst of all.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-09-2009, 07:43 AM
According to Wikipedia, the Labradoodle (The first of the trend?) has been around since 1989... So, although this may seem to be a recent phenomenon, it's not & therefore not likely to go away any time soon.

My point? It's a bit of a waste of effort stressing about it. I guess just think of the names as indicating the result of intentional crossbreeding. Whatever the reasons for people wanting such breeds, at least it'll lessen the potential stagnation in the gene pool.
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Some people with cross breeds seem to be more snooty about their breeds than some of the super pedigreed lord hoo-hahs!
I dont get it. In years gone by a hei*z 57 was a he*nz 57 and nobody was bothered. Where did all the snobbery come from?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:25 AM
I met someone recently with a 'Shih-Cockerpoo' puppy. So, a cross with three breeds. The women proudly annouced that they were "all the range" in America. I just nodded and smiled.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I`ve got a mongrel! He`s luffly - probably a Hound cross of some sort. And just as good as any other dog.
I don`t know why people get so shirty about having a cross. Sometimesa name`s shorthand for a cross (lurcher for example) but since any crossbreed is a bit of a lottery as to coat / type / size etc. I don`t see why people can`t just say they`re a cross and be proud of their dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
lol, sounds fun

i hate when people put stupid names to crossbreeds. my jake is a BC x GSD and will never get a daft name given to his breed lol, he is a crossbreed not a pretend purebreed! lol
a Shollie?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >