Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:22 AM

lily has failed to meet the standard...

on our walk on friday we went to our usual favourite haunt, not just for the beautiful walks but also because the dog owners tend to be really lovely too.

near the end of our walk i noticed a lady with a young jack russell and lily was quick to go over and say hello. i answered the usual question of 'what is he?' ( ) and was then told that one of lily's parents was quite obviously a patterdale terrier. i said that i had met both parents and they were jack russells and was then told that the owners could have been lying just to make a sale!

i said that infact the puppies were very cheap, i paid £150 for lily, and i couldn't see any reason why they would have lied. the lady then said that although lily wasn't a jack russell, she was obviously some kind of terrier so i should breed her (at which point i thought, who the heck mentioned breeding! ) and she said that if i bred her with a short legged, predominantly white jack, she should produce puppies that would be correct for the jack russell standard, whatever that may be!

she explained at great length about how a 'true' jack should look and how her parents were trying to breed back the old fashioned type.

we then got to the gate and i was keen to get my 'fake' jack russell home.

another lady, also with a jack, was approaching the gate from the other side. mrs jack russell expert greeted her and said 'oh isn't your dog abit funny with other dogs?' the woman replied that he was ok with big dogs, but didn't like other jacks.

mrs jr laughed, looked at me and said 'well i better move away as i have a jack russell but you'll be fine with yours!'

so, despite my lovely little lilypig not looking anything like a jack russell and doubt being cast over her parentage, i love her dearly and wouldn't change anything about her!

lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:27 AM
I have to agree lily doesn't look anything like a jrt.
Are you sure she's not a GREAT DANE OR A ROTTIE?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:31 AM
oooh Lily you big fake you with fake parents too
Don't you just love people like that who know it all!! what would we do without them
I think it's best to humour people like this - Lily is gorgeus didn't the woman see she is GSD x then!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
... and I love her too, she really is such a little sweetheart and bags of fun! Even if she isn't a real jr, I much prefer whatever she is, especially her colouring and her cute little face. I'm no expert on jr's, unlike that Mrs. jr you met this morning (how on earth did you go out in all that this morning????? ).

Is she KC registered? In which case, I'd make sure I had a copy of her pedigree stuffed in my pocket next time I did that walk, or borrow someone else's!! Some people think their God's gift to dogs don't they, what does it matter for Christ's sake anyways I really wouldn't care if my puppy was a bitsa and looked as cute as Lily! Wait till I come on that walk with you, I'll tell her I AM the breeder!!! Lol!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
I have to agree lily doesn't look anything like a jrt.
Are you sure she's not a GREAT DANE OR A ROTTIE?
i'm not even sure she's a dog!

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
oooh Lily you big fake you with fake parents too
Don't you just love people like that who know it all!! what would we do without them
I think it's best to humour people like this - Lily is gorgeus didn't the woman see she is GSD x then!
i know! for the sake of £150 i don't think the owners would have gone to all that trouble to get a bitch who's quite obviously recently had pups and a dog who obviously adores his missus!

i did play along with her as for one thing, i couldn't really get a word in edgeways, (you know the type that don't even pause for breathe!) and i was intrigued to see what rubbish she'd come out with next!

my mini gsd is a very special girl!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
... and I love her too, she really is such a little sweetheart and bags of fun! Even if she isn't a real jr, I much prefer whatever she is, especially her colouring and her cute little face. I'm no expert on jr's, unlike that Mrs. jr you met this morning (how on earth did you go out in all that this morning????? ).

Is she KC registered? In which case, I'd make sure I had a copy of her pedigree stuffed in my pocket next time I did that walk, or borrow someone else's!! Some people think their God's gift to dogs don't they, what does it matter for Christ's sake anyways I really wouldn't care if my puppy was a bitsa and looked as cute as Lily! Wait till I come on that walk with you, I'll tell her I AM the breeder!!! Lol!
oh goodness not this morning! it was hard enough to get them to go out for a pee! this was friday morning.

aww, thank you! i get so many lovely comments about her looks and i think she is a beautiful little dog, no matter what she is!

no she isn't but the devil in me thinks i should produce a fake one saying she is a jack russell x gsd!

these so-called dog experts make me die. they are so blinkered in their opinions and you can't convince them otherwise. i prefer having an open mind than a closed one!

oh helen if we met that woman we could tell her that we've found out zena is lily's litter sister! can you imagine it!! oh boy we could start some rumours!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
oh goodness not this morning! it was hard enough to get them to go out for a pee! this was friday morning.

aww, thank you! i get so many lovely comments about her looks and i think she is a beautiful little dog, no matter what she is!

no she isn't but the devil in me thinks i should produce a fake one saying she is a jack russell x gsd!

these so-called dog experts make me die. they are so blinkered in their opinions and you can't convince them otherwise. i prefer having an open mind than a closed one!

oh helen if we met that woman we could tell her that we've found out zena is lily's litter sister! can you imagine it!! oh boy we could start some rumours! :lol:
and then take a picture of her face hey???!!!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Of course you love her we all do she is a little poppet.
It's amazing how many "experts" there are out there
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
and then take a picture of her face hey???!!!
i can imagine! just think of a goldfish!

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Of course you love her we all do she is a little poppet.
It's amazing how many "experts" there are out there
thank you!

it is isn't it? i do find it amazing that even when you explain something to them, they still argue the point!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2009, 11:03 AM
its prob just her colouring thats all, if you picture her in say Brown & white see looks ve, JR, i wonder if one of her parreents could have a bit of border a few gens back, which would account for her lovely colour?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >