Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MelG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:02 PM

Vitamin tablets for dogs?

I have been doing a fair bit of reading regarding best feeding for a puppy. My puppy boxer is now 13 weeks, and of course I want her to have the best start in life. I have read an article saying that it is a really good idea to give a puppy/dog vitamin C tablets, for example the chewy orange ones that are given to children. I have come to the conclusion that you cant trust everything that you read, which is another reason why I am so glad to be a member of this site!
Does anyone out there give thier dogs regular vitamin tablets? Or is it a bit of nonsence? Lol Would really like to know what other owners do/think about this.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by MelG View Post
I have been doing a fair bit of reading regarding best feeding for a puppy. My puppy boxer is now 13 weeks, and of course I want her to have the best start in life. I have read an article saying that it is a really good idea to give a puppy/dog vitamin C tablets, for example the chewy orange ones that are given to children. I have come to the conclusion that you cant trust everything that you read, which is another reason why I am so glad to be a member of this site!
Does anyone out there give thier dogs regular vitamin tablets? Or is it a bit of nonsence? Lol Would really like to know what other owners do/think about this.
hi
if your puppy is being fed a balanced puppy diet tailored to size/breed and age you will not need to give any extra vitamins
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Mine are fed a balanced raw diet and I also include protectajoint which has glucosamine, I also give mine kelp and ester c.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I am glad you realize how much garbage there is out there. I put much more faith in the practices of the service dog schools. They are determined by teams of highly educated, highly experienced professionals with extensive resources and motivation.

While different schools feed different common brands of food, they follow much of the same regimen, an early switch to adult food, keep the puppy lean, and don't give any vitamins or other suppliments.

Usually it is much easier to keep a Boxer lean than a Lab. Like Shepherds, showing a little rib doesn't hurt.
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
I am glad you realize how much garbage there is out there. I put much more faith in the practices of the service dog schools. They are determined by teams of highly educated, highly experienced professionals with extensive resources and motivation.

While different schools feed different common brands of food, they follow much of the same regimen, an early switch to adult food, keep the puppy lean, and don't give any vitamins or other suppliments.

Usually it is much easier to keep a Boxer lean than a Lab. Like Shepherds, showing a little rib doesn't hurt.
At what age would you recommend switching to adult food, my Westie (pebbles) is now 7 months old and still on puppy food.

Oops sorry I got carried away and just realized I have posted on someone else s post.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by minx4 View Post
At what age would you recommend switching to adult food, my Westie (pebbles) is now 7 months old and still on puppy food.
hi
little dogs have different energy requirements to 'large breeds' is she on a food specificly for small breeds?, i would go by her bodycondition if she finds it hard to keep still and keep weight on i would keep her on it a prob till she is about a year ,if she is the opposite then i would personally change in 1-2 months time.
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
little dogs have different energy requirements to 'large breeds' is she on a food specificly for small breeds?, i would go by her bodycondition if she finds it hard to keep still and keep weight on i would keep her on it a prob till she is about a year ,if she is the opposite then i would personally change in 1-2 months time.
I feed her a mixture of Burns puppy Kibble and Butchers wet puppy food, she is quite lively and weighs 8kg
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I too feed my dogs a raw diet, complete with pureed veg and fruit so I dont give mine any vitamins, never did when they were on kibble neither.

I have got some vitamin tablets I bought for the mutts, multivits, but I take them myself as my diet is far poorer than that of my dogs...!