Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:20 PM

cat with heatstroke?

Momo(dont ask lol) my cat has been sort of panting and is flat out, im just wondering what the signs of heatstroke in cats are?
Ive made sure shes in a cool place but obviously cant put a wet towel on her!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:40 PM
Has this been all day or just recent.?

I would contact the vet. My 2 cats are not doing this and we haven't had any cats in the vets (where I am a receptionist) with heat stroke.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Shes been out all day, seems a bit better now but still the heavy breathing
pinklizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Panting or open-mouthed breathing is quite often a sign of respiratory distress in cats, very different from dogs and cats do not usually suffer from heat-stress in the same way. I'd contact your vet asap, as well as keeping her as cool as poosible.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Glad to say that momo is fine- think she was having me on! back to her normal self now
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 10:48 AM
hi my cat ziggy has also been panting in the heat. the first time I gave her a cold shower and then left her to dry in the heat. She didn't appreciate it but did stop panting. The next time I Shut her in a cool room as she is loony and keeps charging around the place even when she is to hot.

Ndidi
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 11:49 AM
I've never heard of a cat with heat stroke - my cat - thick long haired type will lay smack bang in the middle of the patio in the blazing sun on her back for hours & it doesn't affect her & I never see her drink except occasionally from the dogs bowl as this is fresh a million times a day!
Hope Momo is okay though.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I've never heard of a cat with heat stroke - my cat - thick long haired type will lay smack bang in the middle of the patio in the blazing sun on her back for hours & it doesn't affect her & I never see her drink except occasionally from the dogs bowl as this is fresh a million times a day!Hope Momo is okay though.
Same here! I can't believe how some people just throw down a bowl of water for the dogs and leave it all day, especially in this heat, coz you want to encourage them to drink by keep changing it

So glad to hear your little puddy cat is ok today though, I bet that was a worry for you.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 12:04 PM
my lad kobi is long coated, but loves nothing more than baking himself in the sun, hes never shown signs of being to hot though,
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Mine are indoor cats and have spent the last week or so sunbathing in spots of sunlight coming through the windows, or lying full length along the window sill with no ill effects.

They are quite pleased that the sun has gone in, though it's still warm, as they are getting fed up of being painted with sun screen twice a day!