Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ianc
New Member!
Male 

02-07-2009, 08:55 PM

Send a dog to bed

Hi everyone,
What is the best method to train a dog to go to bed on command. I know there are many but I would like to hear from any trainer out there
Thanks Ianc
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 08:59 PM
I start off just rewarding when they choose to go on their bed - catching the natural behaviour.

I then also start to lure them over with a treat or something (if going into a crate, you may have to throw the treat into the crate) and reward when on it.

Once they're going on as soon as you begin to lure, you know they're beginning to understand it and you can begin to add the word 'bed' or whatever you choose. Soon the dog should learn the cue preceeds the lure and associate the two.

My two also know that if i get dentastix out they are about to go to bed so I only have to get the sticks out of the tin and without saying a word, the two of them leap onto their beds!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Every time my dog went in its 'bed area', I said the word 'bed' and treated her.
Now she knows when I say 'bed', she must go to her room!
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 08:19 PM
When Training Obi I dropped a treat onto his bed with him sitting a little away from the bed where he could see me doing it, when he walked over and onto his bed I gave the command bed and treated him again.

Ali
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 08:28 PM
First off....I don;t use a specific place as bed - Bed is a piece of material and where ever it is placed that indicates a place to settle.

I then make sure the dog has a good down and relax command.

I then make it a game....place the mat on the floor and put some food on it. Then hold the dogs collar and do a ready...steady.....get it! and release the dog to get the food. I then follow the dog and place another couple of pieces on the bed.
Once the dog is running towards the bed I start to introduce a command.

I will then start to introduce the down and relax command.
(very brief description - sorry)
Ali
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Tassle described what I meant much better than I did!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2009, 10:55 PM
I do ao couple of things

For the crate I say 'bed' I trained that by chucking treats in there and saying 'Bed' then as they got the hang of it I said the word and chucked the treats in as they went in so it was a reward not a lure

I also free shaped a 'mat' which is a bit of material I can take anywhere

Basically I clicked and rewarded for any interest in the mat - but I rewarded in place - so when they got to the mat they were getting lots of treats - and a jackpot for lieing down - then I used my release command and took them off the mat - as soon as I let go they ran back to the mat for the treats to begin again
After a few goes I added the word 'mat' when they were running back to the mat, reward lots when lying on the mat and always release them before they want to leave the mat
Ianc
New Member!
Male 

04-07-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you all for your advice regards Ianc