Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Dog walking after spey op?

How long did you wait after having your bitch speyed before you let her off lead?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 01:14 PM
oooer, much would depend on the how the bitch is? will she be likely to go heal for leather or just plod along? are you walking on flat ground or is it over rocks in woods..? has she got stitches or is she glued?
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that the advice I was given with Tiani after her spay, was no off-lead walks for 10 days. Have to say I didn't really take much notice, as Tiani rarely walks, let alone off-lead
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2009, 01:50 PM
With Rio who is a bit of a live wire I was advised no off lead for 28 days as although the external wound might have healed, she still needed to heal internally. We stuck to it.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
With Rio who is a bit of a live wire I was advised no off lead for 28 days as although the external wound might have healed, she still needed to heal internally. We stuck to it.
Wow, that is a long time - though with the size of the op, we shouldn't really be surprised - after all it takes humans months to heal.

With Stumpy I kept her on lead most of the time while her stitches were in - I did let her off in certain places where I knew she wasn't likely to run around daft - but then she caused me more concern by rolling around on the ground, kicking her back legs right out and stretching her tummy to its maximum

Once the stitches were out I let her do pretty much what she wanted, though i didn't encourage activity (i.e. ball throwing jumping etc) for another couple of weeks after that.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2009, 06:43 PM
It was a long time, and externally she healed really quickly but Rio can't do sedate and ladylike no matter what. We lead walked her separately for a month and it wasn't as difficult as we thought it might be.
This is the dog that I was asked to collect early on the day of the spay because she was yodelling so loudly they couldn't concentrate. She charged out with the vet nurse hanging on for dear life and when we got to the car, I opened the back and as I turned round to lift her up, she jumped past me in a blur, straight into the back of the 4x4 She was raring to go as usual
Petrina
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2009, 06:48 PM
A week for us, and they used disolvable stitches.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi,

With Ellie I was told no walking at all for a few days then only on lead walking (away from other dogs) for a further week. Only then if ellie was walking normally and was back to her old self could she go off lead.

I added a few days to each stage for my own satisfaction in the end. She was confined to the house and rear garden for a week then she was on lead for walks for 10 days. Only then, and still away from other dogs, did I allow her off lead.

Laura xx
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2009, 08:45 PM
This is going to sound bad, but I was only 10 at the time remember!
We had my bitch speyed and collected her from the vets, went strait to the woods with her and our other dog, not really thinking let both dogs off leads and they went sprinting around and jumping off rocks etc...she never seemed very sore :S and it never caused her problems, she lived another 7 and half years by the way!

I do not reccomend this though!!!!!!!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

22-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Vet told me 28 days for Loki but she doesn't get off lead where I stay anyway, unless at the weekend up at the field. I was told though I could take her short walks on lead!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >