Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dexter's Mummy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-06-2009, 09:58 AM

Help - I am such a bad mum!

I was trying to take my new puppy out in the car yesterday just to get used to it. I have a Freelander so the plan was to put him in the boot in a open box with sides about 10" high, so he could get in and out the box if he wanted and didnt feel trapped, but so he felt secure if he wanted to go back in.

I put him in the box, and as I went to carry him out of the house, he jumped out of the box at about 5ft high and landed on the floor (wooden - not carpeted). He didnt land on his feet, kind of on his side, and then righted himself but just sat there. I was horrified, and tried to see if he was hurt, by feeling round his little body. He didnt wince or react in anyway to it. But he still didnt try to walk or move at all. I carried him through to his bed, and he just lay down and looked at me. I then hysterically got my husband home from work who took a look and thinks he just got a scare. He was ok last night, and was running around and playing but was also a lot quieter than usual and seemed to be sleeping a lot more.

He was much better this morning, but again - just seemed to want cuddles, and not boisterous play.

I called the vet and they said he is hardier than we think - but I feel terrible. I cried most of the day yesterday and cried myself to sleep last night. I am so worried about him.

Jo x
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Awww don't beat yourself up hun, these things happen. A lesson learned If your really worried make an app to see your vet. It's prob just knocked the wind out of his sails, he'll get over it. Lots of cuddles and treats, take him for a carry if he's not finished his vaccs, get some fresh air, will do you both good

Elaine xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:39 AM
As Elaine says, don't beat yourself up, it will be a lesson that you'll never do again I know. We have all done it from time to time hun.

They are so quick aren't they, if your still worried just pop him along to the vets, he's probably bruised and was shook up, but I am sure he will be fine.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Fortunately puppies, like most young children are mostly made from rubber and string! They bounce ETA Not that I condone bouncing babies, just I know from experience they are hardier than our maternal instincts think they are)

He'll be fine, but if you are still worried take him over to the vet for a check up just to be on the safe side.

I know how it is though. I spent a whole night crying my eyes out convinced I had given Kismet Parvo by letting her play with another dogs toy before she had finished her injections. She had gone to visit next door and they had a few of their old (deceased) dog's toys they wanted to give her.. I didn't think until later what a risk that was. So of course her runny butt the next day was not attributed to all the treats they gave her as well, I just convinced myself she had Parvo and was going to die and it was all my fault!

Kismet was just fine.. Just a puppy butt.. But they're so tiny and need protecting...

I blame hormones! Puppys make us come over all maternal!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I agree with what's already been posted. Try not to worry too much, I'm sure the pup will be fine but know exactly how you feel. Monty got into all sorts of bumps and falls when he was young but he'd bounce back always and sometimes it would take a couple of days before he was truly back to normal.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Don't worry or blame yourself. they are a lot hardier than we think, jake (who is now 11 weeks) panicked me once coz he fell down the last 5 or 6 outside stairs when he was about 8 weeks old. he was running down them and just didnt judge the distance right and tumbled down the rest of them. i immediately picked him up and checked him all over, he seemed fine and when i put him back down he just trotted off like nothing had happened and started running around the garden.

i also once felt soooo guilty coz he ran in front of me and i accidently stood on his paw. he whined and was limping, but i just gave him a big cuddle and after a few minutes was fine

lauren