Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Dogs pads

Anyone got any ideas as to what would help with a dog getting sore, cracked, brittle pads, kavik has 1 sore rear left pad, vet suggested salt water, vaseline. Just wandered if anyone here had other suggestions as to prevent his pad getting like that.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
you can buy pad wax
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 02:20 PM
not sure will have to check on internet, thanx
xxxx

well found some padwax but the place i spoke to said it won'tr act as a moisturiser for the pad.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
You can get special wax called Padsanol that is used for greyhounds, it has lanolin in it to moisturise i think. - if you google it this should come up. Or there is a wax that is used for sled dogs think its called Paw Wax it protects the pads from harsh terrain.

If you need to toughen the pads you can bathe them with surgical spirit.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 04:22 PM
sorry my last post above the 1 above should say i checked the paw wax & hyperdrug said it wasn't a moisturiser,
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
No but Padsanol might be ok - its for racing greyhounds paws. Have you tried massaging vaseline into the paws ? the salt water will toughen them up as will surgical spirit as mentioned before.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Will try the massaging of the vaseline, he isn't keen on having that paw touched much @ present as i think it may be a bit tender but will take it gently & get him better again, thanx greyhoundk for the help.
xxxxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
evening
a couple of my dogs suffer from this quite alot (just by being nutters) the cracked bits of pad will have to slough off and regrowth will happen slowly i would keep the pads clean with hibiscrub or salt water and even dress them for a couple of days if they are really sore.when they are healed i would then use the surgical spirit as greyhoundk suggests to toughen them up.