Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
HENNYSMOM
New Member!
Female 

09-05-2009, 04:20 AM

Please Answer

My 11 week old pit/bull dog mix has recently started to "hump" stuffed animals and other dogs (male or female) Is this normal or should I be worried about somethin?
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Hi,

It's completely normal doggy behaviour. Don't worry about it.

My 2 GSDs (one of whom is neutered) consistently hump my Akita bitch who was spayed almost 2 weeks ago. Since bringing her home last night, they're much worse.

Are you likely to have him neutered when he's old enough?

Laura xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 05:58 AM
I agree, it's completely normal behaviour. My 4 year old dog tries to mount my 6 year old bitch (his mother) on a regular basis........ both of them are neutered/spayed.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2009, 07:44 AM
Agree perfectly normal....bless him
leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2009, 02:23 PM
At this age it is sometimes thought to be more of a dominance thing than sexual. My puppy used to hump his stuffed animal at around 8 weeks of age. He would also try and jump on other small dogs. I took the stuffed toy away from him and he has calmed down and stopped doing this with other dogs too. As far as I know it is only when they reach adolescence that humping is a sexual thing.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-05-2009, 02:55 PM
My 11 week old pit/bull dog mix has recently started to "hump" stuffed animals and other dogs (male or female) Is this normal or should I be worried about somethin
Originally Posted by leaho View Post
At this age it is sometimes thought to be more of a dominance thing than sexual. My puppy used to hump his stuffed animal at around 8 weeks of age. He would also try and jump on other small dogs. I took the stuffed toy away from him and he has calmed down and stopped doing this with other dogs too. As far as I know it is only when they reach adolescence that humping is a sexual thing.
Hi Hennysmom and sorry to disagree Leaho , puppies 'practise' all sorts of canine behaviour sometimes inappropriately, it is how they learn in preparation for being an adult dog and I don't think it has much to do with 'dominance', all kinds of puppies will hump things from the shy to the bold.
Puppies tend to do things like humping more when they are excited. The humping is often made worse because human laugh with embarrassment which is giving attention so the behaviour ,the puppy then learns to repeat it because it brings attention.

Rather than take toys away I would distract the puppy with another toy (maybe the squeaky kind, then hide it) and the unwanted behaviour should quickly be forgotten
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-05-2009, 03:13 PM
Hmmmmm, my 6-month-old Thorgeir keeps trying this on with my 15-year-old Kali (both are male). Kali will aim a nip at him, but he's too old and slow to catch him. Thorgeir, being a dimwit, isn't getting the message, but I'm sure he will.

Snorri