Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Save my sanity please..........

The season is here again, i've dreaded it for months but it's arrived - HAYFEVER SEASON!

Now i'm not a sufferer so thats not where the problem lies. Rich, however, is. During the day i can cope with it and just tell him to stop moaning, put some drops in, take an anti-histamine and get the hell on with it!

At night it's a different story - the heavy breathing, runny nose and raspy chest make sleep near on impossible. Last night i slept about 4 hours, the other 4 hours were spent lying awake wondering when Darth Vader moved in and slept in my bed.

At the moment we sleep as far apart as possible both facing outwards as the distance dulls the noise slightly!! The moment i can't keep my eyes open at work it will be seperate rooms or having a few drinkies before bed to ease the pain!!

So does anyone else have this problem and if so can I have suggestions please. Either for how to help Rich breathe better or how to help me ignore it and sleep better. I'll list the things we've tried in the past:

Rich has tried:

* Nasal Sprays
* Eye Drops
* Nasal Breath Easy Strips
* Olbas Oil on pillow.

I have tried:

* ear Plugs - uncomfortable and due to perforated ear drum not suitable
* A half dose of night nurse - it knocks me out but then should only be used for flu

I have some strong painkillers from when i cut my head open that i know would work but don't think self-medication is the way to go!!

Please someone help before I go mad!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 09:17 PM
not sure if it would help but how about an air purifier in the bedroom so he is breathing better air.??

I know you can get something like that takes out the allergens??

good luck - my eyes have been sore the last few days and I get a bit of cold symptoms but luckily dont snore etc- although OH and dog do so am well used to it !!! and dont thin kit could get any worse !!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Never thought about air purifier's so will look into that! Hopefully they don't make any noise though!!

I'd gladly spend money on sorting this problem out!!
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

22-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Get him to kip in the living room on the sofa or an air bed. That's what I have to do if I'm making various snorting noises.

And we (blokes) actually quite enjoy it. It's a bit like camping
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 09:44 PM
We've considered using the spare room but then i always feel guilty for some reason!!
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 10:07 PM
What about trying nasal strips, I cant remember what they are called but they work as OH snores when he has a beer
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
What about trying nasal strips, I cant remember what they are called but they work as OH snores when he has a beer
His Lordship moaned that they were uncomfortable. I said that I had created one giant nasal strip in the form of a pillow which would be much more uncomfortable! Anyway he won't use those anymore although i might just wait til he's asleep and stick one on!!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:00 AM
We have this one and I must say, it has made a big difference, switch it on about an hour before going to bed... night night sleep tight

http://www.heavenfresh.co.uk/Ionic-A...4Pa38Ta38OaNr0

The expensive one do the same job, but why spend all that money
Elaine xxx
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 10:14 AM
My Oh snores ALL the time! he gets hayfever too which makes it worse but he snores all year!

we sleep apart....not great for a marriage but at least i get some sleep so i am happy, lol!

Those nasal strips do work a bit so you could try them tell him to stick em on or else...!
try higher pillows too or a mouth guard thingy if you get desperate tho he wont wanna wear it!!!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2009, 05:29 PM
Yup, I have horrible hayfever...

Got a purifier from Lloyds Chemist last year for about £15and - WOW!!

I make sure all the bedroom windows are shut and switch it on about an hour before I go to bed and close the bedroom door.

Then when I go to bed, I leave it on for about an hour then turn it off. If I'm really bad, I leave it on all night. You could put on on a timer I guess?

Make sure Rich showers before bed, as this will ensure he gets rid of pollen on his skin and hair.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >