View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
soope
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2009, 12:23 PM

How can i stop my dog digging up the garden?

Hi,
Hopefully someone out there will be able to point me in the right direction. We have a Great Vendeen Griffon who is digging up our garden ( we have fenced off as much as possible ) and have left her a patch to dig but has now taken to digging up our new vegatable seedlings much to our annoyance. Does anyone know what we can do about this??. We are semi-retired so there is always one of us with her 24/7, she gets a 1 1/2 hour walk every morning and 30 mins in the late afternoon. We try to play with her as much as possible but unfortunately being a rescue dog she hasn't really fully embraced the "play" thing.
Any help would be greatfully appreciated
Many thanks
Soope
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 12:44 PM
The first thing that came to mind was to actually make her a digging pit where you can bury treats for her to find.

If you google digging pit dog there are a lot of hits
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Soope digging is a natural thing for many dogs and I would have thought particularly so with a breed like GVGs (lovely dogs ).

I would build a sand pit rather like children have and encourage your dog to dig there by restricting access to other parts of he garden when you are not able to supervise your dog. If you catch your dog digging in 'the wrong place' quickly lure it to the correct place with a treat and give lots of praise when it digs in the right place.

As cava14una says you can make the digging place more attractive by burying treats in it
Suejaw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
For some dogs the sandpit works really well.

I gave it a go and got one, my boy wasn't interested in digging this, he layed about in it.

He was and still does dig our flower beds, only in one place though, put new shrubs in there in the hope this may deter him, not the case. We now have 2 bricks in the area which he can't dig up.

My breed are known to be diggers, it doesn't bother me in any way, but the family don't agree with me on this.
Good luck.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Our Thorgeir is only 4 months old (approx), but is already an accomplished digger. We are considering that the next time he digs a big hole, we will push him into it and cover him up.

Snorri
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Pave the garden......