Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nita
New Member!
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:02 PM

snappy at the vets

hi i am new to this
my pup is fine any where but at the vets then she starts snapping can any one give me some advice
she has got to go back wed to get spayed.
thanks nita
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Is she the same when you leave the room? We used to have a client who always had to hand her dog over to us to examine and treat it as it would snap at us if the owner was in the room. Without the owner there she was fine!

A good way to get dogs used to the vets is just to take her there several times for no reason. If you have a word with the receptionists and take some treats with you I am sure they will help and give your dog treats and, if she'#ll let them, some fuss. This needs to be done umpteen times over a reasonable period for the dog to realise that its not such a bad place after all!

Another thing - some dogs are 'man' dogs and some are 'woman', is she the same with both?
nita
New Member!
Female 

09-03-2009, 07:43 PM
she has never been left alone there yet she will be wed as she is going to be spayed
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2009, 08:10 PM
good one Netpon,mine stop buy the vets for simple visites, there is a coffee shop next door we go to ,so we drop buy for fun...the dogs enjoy it and so does the office /vets.oh a good place for a muzzel if you have to ........i dont like it either !!!!!
nita
New Member!
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:12 PM
thanks if she carries on i might have to think about using a muzzle but she is fine anywhere else we go and loves other people and dogs
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Woody went through this stage so as Netpon advises we tried him on his next visit without me there. He was perfect apparently and is not absolutely fine everytime we go.

Do you hold her when she's being examined as sometimes this can make them worse as they sense your concerns and think there is something to be afraid of so try the vet being alone with her next time and then if she still does it ask for a nurse to hold her instead.

Hope it sorts itself out, but don't worry I'm sure it's just a pup thing ;o)
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Have you thought about maybe walking her round before going into the vets to release some excess energy/frustration.

I'm lucky in the my old dog was only terrified of the vet, wasn't snappy with it, and my current dog is great at the vets, it doesn't phase her one iota.

Also, try not to coo her (don't know if you do or not) at all. Don't "reassure" her. If your energy says it is ok to be there, and you are not worried/anxious, she will feed of this and (hopefully) act the same.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-03-2009, 08:33 PM
my amstaff does not like you touching his feet,and iv tried everything you can think of ...so when we go to the vet for foot stuff,i need to be there to handle him,its not pretty but we have to get it over with ,he hates it, i have to muckle him, hes pretty powerfull and determind not to be touched ,i have to be more powerfull ,so to speek,and yes it stresses him out but thats life, he rebounds and forgetts untill the next time........
nita
New Member!
Female 

11-03-2009, 09:56 AM
hi everyone
took zena to the vets this morning for spaying and to my suprise she was fine. took your advise and walked her before so she was less stressie.thank you for all your advise hopefully she will get better everytime we go.i am just waiting for the phone call to go and fetch her i think i am more worried than her xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2009, 10:19 AM
I am sure Zena will be fine Glad to hear she was fine with the vet today, and I agree with Netpon, most dogs are far more stressed with their owners there.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >